We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Photo Licence

woodchip
Resolved

Likes # 0

Is your Photo Up-To Date

Check out

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Ho, they came up ten minutes after it had stopped loading

Like this post  
spuds

Likes # 0

Not sure if it applies to everyone with the old type paper licence, but the DVLA have been sending out letters regarding replacements, on a possible free of charge offer.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Its all very nice having the Photo Card licence but you are still required to keep the paper part with it as well to be strictly with the law.

I'm n sure the paper part could be dispensed with, with modern technology allowing all the information to be encoded onto the plastic card.

Anyone who hasn't had a replacement recently will be surprised to find that although you have to send in a Colour picture, its burnt onto your license in Black and white. This is because its done with a laser and lasers can't burn in colour. I have a coloured picture on my license because it was issued when they still did it photographically, but I supposed I will go monochrome when I have to replace mine in a couple of yeas time.

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

BT

When I was involved with the change of paper style to credit card style licence, the DVLA requested that I sent the paper copy back with the new application. If the paper licence had been lost, destroyed or defaced, then there was no need to bother, except to tick a box on the new application form.

The new application also stated that the photo must be in colour and of a certain size.In fact a photo image size is printed on the application form. I noticed that most photo kiosks for public use now have facilities for confirming whether the photo required is for the DVLA licence, passport or other use, and the photo image is set-up on this instruction?.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I suppose a new photo is required because people do alter their appearance as they get older. But that is only up to a certain point in life. Once I lost my hair I remained more or less as good looking for ever. Certainly I don't think I have altered much in the last twenty years (photographically speaking). There is no way any of my old acquaintances would walk past me in the street and say afterwards "Sorry, but I never recognised you".

So I don't think we oldies should have to change our photo's for licensing purposes.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

spuds

As I remember the paper part issued with the plastic cards is not the same as the old paper license but a new one which forms your license together with the plastic card.

I had my last set of photos done at Timpsons. Guaranteed to pass the Passport Office check, and a set of 6, so enough for my Passport renewal, my Bus Pass application and a couple of spares. The Timpsons in question is in Tescos so they were ready after I had finished my shopping.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I'm licensed up until March, 2015. There will probably be some new regulation in by then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia