We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

A bird I can't identify

sunnypete
Resolved

Likes # 0

Had a bird in our garden this morning, new to me. Can't find it in my books or on the RSPB web identifier, so have come to the fount of all knowledge. Don't have a photo, brief description as follows. About the size of a blackbird, rather more greyish and slimmer, a prominent reddish brown patch under the beak, on the "chest?", possibly a small white mark on the top of the head, perched on the fence looking around for several minutes, then flew off quite rapidly. Anyone any ideas?

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Don't think that's it, very much like a blackbird but rather slimmer and colour more evenly greyish black, with this prominent reddish-brown "chest". Drawn a blank so far...

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

They don't seem to have an identification section.

Like this post
hssutton

Likes # 0

Waxwing? I've been out with the camera for several days looking for waxwings, as this is the time of year they appear in the UK. No luck as yet.

Waxwing

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

According to my little Observers book on Birds ... a male redstart, perhaps.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Thanks both, but I've looked at these and don't think so. Too large for the redstart, also the colouring on the throat - chest quite subdued, think the waxwing also a smaller bird and the crest on the head would be very apparent. I first took my visitor to be a male blackbird until I saw the reddish-brown on the throat - chest, also, I thought, rather slimmer than the usual blackbird.

Didn't think it would be so difficult to identify my feathered visitor, felt sure someone on here, perhaps even Himself, would immediately say "Oh this is a ginger-throated thingamy", shall have to keep watch for another visit... with my camera ready...

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Only one I can think of is the Rock Thrush, Images in link.

Rock Thrush

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Thanks, plenty of pictures there, but my visitor's reddish brown was only at the throat so don't think it was a rock thrush, would it have come to a suburban garden?

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

Not a female blackbird by any chance?

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Redwing.

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.rspb.org.uk/images/cache/redwing300tcm9-148829v1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.rspb.org.uk/wildlife/birdguide/name/r/redwing/index.aspx&h=240&w=300&sz=9&tbnid=VvRi8p-ymNAyZM:&tbnh=102&tbnw=127&zoom=1&usg=3A2tEj6Gru7eoZutFXfEh1-gps=&docid=_SitqzbcUBQ3SM&sa=X&ei=byqUULS4EeLM0AXSpYHoCg&ved=0CCIQ9QEwAA&dur=3360

The rusty patch is actually under the wing, but an appaer to spread to breast under certain conditions.

Similarly, the white mark is an eyeline

Massive influx from Scandinavia this time of the year.

Like this post
sunnypete

Likes # 0

Quizman, possibly but I don't think so, we have these from time to time, also the males so recognise them quite well. Had this distinct reddish-brown patch which I thought unusual. Keeping my camera handy but possibly only a passing visitor..

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 10 most ridiculously opulent, mega expensive and utterly stupid gadgets you can't afford

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

5 things Android Wear *can't* do: Smartwatch OS is great but not flawless

IDG UK Sites

Free QuarkXPress update offers redlining, notes and image enhancement