We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Apple V Samsung or Samsung V Apple

carver

Likes # 0

Personally I am getting really fed up with these two because in the long term I and every body else is paying for their sue and counter sue but this proper apology I like.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Carver: I think that you are mistaken.

They are actually round with 4 straightened edges!

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

wee eddie hadn't thought of that shape, must brush up on shapes and how to describe them.

Have you have patented that shape yet.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Of course, my Solicitors, Messrs' Sue, Grabbit & Run are, at this very moment, sharpening their pencils in the expectation of a considerable, No Fee, No Charge, payout!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

"From what I recall it was Apple that started the sueing snowball. Must have been when someone threatened their monopoly to give them some healthy competition!!"

It's helpful to understand that huge amounts of money are at stake in these situations. Both Apple and Samsung invest hundreds of millions of dollars in product design and development, and subtle design differences make big differences to sales figures. Apple has established an unrivalled reputation for innovation, and for designing objects of desire. That flair for design has been largely responsible for the huge sales of devices like the iMac, iPod, and the iPad.

I don't think healthy competition bothers Apple, but what does bother them, and what bothers plenty of other companies too, is when they believe a competitor is piggy backing to success by deliberately copying elements of their registered designs. Reading some of the posts here it's easy to see how a lot of people think it's humorous, this attention to design details, but it's far from that if it means you may sell fewer product units because someone has copied your ideas. Research has demonstrated how customers can be strongly influenced by the look of a device; so much so that in many cases they'll buy something that looks good, even if it isn't technically as capable as a competitor's product. Tiny details can be very important.

All this isn't a new thing - manufacturers have been going to court over such things for decades, the only difference with battles like this one are the amounts of money involved. It's what makes the cases newsworthy.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...