We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Human guniea Pigs

finerty

Likes # 0

Poorest used as Guinea Pigs

Some big drug companies are using poor people on drug trials with adverse affects.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Makes a change from jailbirds and students.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"And choosing Bhopal was just to ratchet up the emotion with a 'Haven't they suffered enough?"

Did you actually watch the whole thing, Bhopal was presented as a past mistake to what happens when company's are allowed to do what ever they want without any thought to safety, the hospital was built to look after the survivors of that breach of safety and now they are using the hospital to conduct drug trails on people who may not even know they are are trying out experimental drugs.

In India life for some of the lower casts is an existence and to use them in drug trails is classed as "if they die they die".

Corruption is rife and it's true that in India Doctors do bury their mistakes.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"in India Doctors do bury their mistakes."

The good ones come to the UK.

Some of our best medical brains trained in India, and a generalisation such as your is a slur on Indian medicine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Corruption is rife and it's true that in India Doctors do bury their mistakes."

Corruption is rife in lots of countries, and certainly in India, but that's not the story here. Drug companies test in many countries, but India, and Bhopal in particular is an attractive TV documentary location - for the reasons mentioned by fourm member.

As for doctors burying their mistakes - that happens all over the world, what else would you do with people who die? India has some superb medical facilities, particularly where certain surgical procedures are concerned, but there aren't enough of them for everyone. Before you generalise about India you need to understand a bit about the country, and you're not going to do that by watching one TV report.

Like this post
SeiyaIkki

Likes # 0

This is so sad...

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

but I don't know that Newsnight has done anything helpful! How dare they raise the subject of the plebs being used!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Strawballs

"..but I don't know that Newsnight has done anything helpful! How dare they raise the subject of the plebs being used!!"

I'm not sure what all that means. if you're trying to say that Newsnight was right to publicise what's happening I agree, but with subjects like this it's good to have some perspective - testing along these lines isn't a new thing, it's been going on for at least five years, both in India and elsewhere.

Between 2007 and 2010 an estimated 1730 people died whilst or after participating in drug trials. All of these people were ill before they started the trial, so it's difficult to know whether the trial was responsible or whether they died as a result of their illness - this is always an issue with trialling new drugs.

Some years ago I worked extensively with an organisation that monitored trialling of drugs in both Europe and Asia, and I saw how many people in Asia were involved - it was a substantial number.

India is by no means at the top of the list when it comes to deaths related to clinical drugs trialling - Russia, China, South Korea, Taiwan, Brazil, all have more.

The culprit, if you want to single out a single one is the way that the rules on trialling were relaxed in 2005. Big populations (particularly India) are popular with drug companies because they have genetic diversity, and a wealth of people with all kinds of different illnesses.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...