We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Following the recent launches, my next smartphone will be:

PC Advisor

Likes # 0

Following the recent launches, we want to know what you next smartphone will be:

Let us know in our poll.

Poll: Following the recent launches, my next smartphone will be:

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

My main use for a smartphone is as a personal organiser.

I've used one since before the days of the Psion Series 3, long before my employer gave me a mobile phone.

When I retired and lost the phone it seemed sensible to combine the two.

However, there are many functions I have never used, like texting or the camera! There is also something which seems quite versatile called SMS, which the gas board and BT have sent me messages on, which I might make an effort with sometime. I think it has something to do with messaging, like texting, but no doubt somebody more knowledgeable will correct me!

My main criteria are size of screen, and ease of synch.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"There is also something which seems quite versatile called SMS"

That's a text. SMS stands for 'Short Message Service'.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Is that what is used for "texting" then?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd - yes. MMS is multimedia messaging service and is used to send images.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I'm happy for the moment with Android as it's ability to self sync with any other device or computer logged on anywhere. I'll look at Windows mobile when I'm ready but the devil you know will be a big part of the choice. If I have a W8 tablet at that time, that may well be the new devil to tempt me.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Thanks FE and WW.

Looks a bit complicated, but I'll persevere.

First thing I need is an acquaintance who also has the necessary technology (and expertise!)

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

It looks as if my next smartphone will be an iPhone. It is much more expensive than the Samsung Galaxy 3 over 2 years and may not be as powerful but syncing contacts with Outlook is making me consider the iPhone. iTunes does it easily and well but Samsung Kies is poor. With my Galaxy 1 I cannot get it to even read my contacts at the moment. Looking at the web I find that I am not alone. Kies is always requiring updating and that is a bit hit and miss. I have come to the conclusion that until Samsung gets Kies sorted I shall avoid their phones. I have looked at Windows 8 Phones and they seem attractive until I find that apparently if I want to sync contacts etc I need a hotmail/outlook com account. Many phone review do not seem to take into account the associated software and ease of syncing.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Hedy Lamarr did film in the nude, a distant shot if my distant memory works correctly. She married a rich chap who spent a lot of money buying up all the "Nude Film" copies.

How times change.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite