We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Comet Going to the Wall?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Speculation that Comet is close to administration

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/nov/01/comet-electrical-goods-jobs-risk (and many others).

Better get your seasonal buys in early, while there's still a bit of competition - this would leave Currys in a very dominant position.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

"My guess is Comet ran out of cash trying to build up stocks."

That is certainly what brought the business to the tipping point, but the signs have been there for a while.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

oresome

DSG reported a 7pc rise in like-for-like UK sales in the 12 weeks to July 21. That was almost certainly due to people nipping out to buy new TVs for the Olympic games, but overall the group sales haven't looked too bad so far this year.

We can't offer advice about share dealings. That's a judgement you'll have to make. I think that tablet sales will be big over the next three months, but whether they'll be big enough is another matter. Lots of sales will be via Amazon who are offering a £50 cash back deal on Samsung tablets. Consumers are going to hunt down deals like this.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

Unfortunately Comet doesn't have enough customers who think as you do.

And I'm one of those who has had poor customer service from them.

We bought a Microwave from them, not a cheap one, it cost £125, which started going seriously rusty inside. I took it back and they replaced the interior cabinet and door. Cost of spares according to their work order was over £80 plus labour costs. After a short time the rust started again, but they still refused to replace it saying that their policy was to repair rather than replace the item. I got fed up with lugging it back to the store and called out the engineer who told me to keep calling him as he got £50 per call out which I did on 3 more occasions until the extended warranty ran out. In all it must have cost them around £400 when they could have just given me a replacement at the beginning.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I last visited Comet about 4 years ago and with cash in my pocket, they would not match the same cash price as another retailer only if I took out their credit on the item. I walked out that day wondering how they could turn away customers and survive.

Noldi

Like this post
March Hare

Likes # 0

I was considering the purchase of an electronic item last year and I was on the point of buying it from Comet. Their boast at the time was something like "We check our competitors' prices daily so you don't have to", which implied I wouldn't find cheaper prices elsewhere. So I went to a competitor, found the item for several pounds less and bought it. Never been near Comet since. I don't like being lied to. I wrote to Comet to complain about their empty promise but never received a reply.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

March Hare,

Many retailers make similar price promises, e.g. John Lewis are never knowingly undersold etc. It doesn't make them the cheapest but is a marketing ploy to make you thing it's not worth shopping round.

I've had no problem getting Comet to price match on occasions where the competitors price was cheaper but involved travelling further.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features