We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Helping Our Friends In The USA

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I haven't heard of any of our British organisations such as the Red Cross sending relief parcels to the USA. Nor our rescue teams flying out there to help if needed. Does anyone know if we are helping at all? Or are we just sitting back and thinking "They don't need help"?

In the past we would have probably had an aircraft carrier in the area which could have helped with its helicopters, its medical facilities etc. But just because we don't have things like that there now, doesn't mean we can't help surely?

I'm surprised that nobody has even mentioned the disaster over there on this forum.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

If they need our help I'm sure they will get it. I expect the Government has been in contact especially the Foreign Office to help British nationals stuck over there. Unlike in most emergency situations the Americans have plans and are technically equipped to deal with most things.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Nor our rescue teams flying out there to help if needed.

I don't think there's any need for that. I have heard or read no reports of people being in need of rescue. There's certainly no need for relief parcels from the Red Cross. America has huge resources, and they will pour into the affected areas - they don't need any outside help in that respect.

I'm absolutely sure that our government has made an offer of help if it's needed, and I'm equally sure that the response was 'Thanks, but we'll be fine'. Americans are enormously resilient people - they'll cope with this.

Like this post  
Chronos the 2nd

Likes # 0

I am more concerned with the help need by countries such as Haiti which still remained pretty devastated after the 2010 earthquake. Now with the effects of hurricane Sandy which represents a "disaster of major proportions," yet hardly a word from the various news channels.

A rich nation such as the USA gets hit by the same storm and it is wall to wall coverage. As has already been stated the country has huge resources and will quickly recover, other poorer nations such as Haiti will take years if not decades.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The answers here are as I expected of course. But nobody on the media has mentioned offering help. I am sure we offered help to Japan after their tsunami last year and they are a pretty resourceful country too. I hope our FE is correct when he says he is sure our government have made an offer of help if needed. It would be very undiplomatic not to have done so.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

One factor that will affect a countries need for Aid is the proportion of the Country affected.

America is vast, in terms of Area, Population, Facilities and Services, most of which remain unaffected and are available to provide assistance to the the East Coast that has been devastated. Which, even though many times bigger than the UK, is a relatively small proportion of the whole.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I am sure we offered help to Japan after their tsunami last year and they are a pretty resourceful country too."

That was altogether a far more serious event. It killed around 19,000 people, destroyed 300,000 buildings (and damaged a million more), and generated 25 million tons of debris. It was destruction on a cataclysmic scale, and it came without warning.

The American event, although huge, doesn't compare in terms of its impact, and there was plenty of warning.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

"In the past we would have probably had an aircraft carrier in the area which could have helped with its helicopters, its medical facilities etc." Sorry Bing.alau in the past we would not have had an aircraft carrier in the area. The USN's capabilities, then and now, far outweigh anything we could do to assist and we would probably just get in the way.

Haiti is a different matter.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Like this post
caccy

Likes # 0

Canada not mentioned again.!! But the Eastern seaboard has been hit. Flights cancelled, areas without power etc.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...