We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Anybody Buying The New Kindle Paperwhite?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have just been browsing the information on the new Kindle Paperwhite. I have decided I am better off sticking with the normal Kindle I have already got, because the new one doesn't have audio for a start. It seems in the battle to get thinner and have a reduction in weight they have sacrificed other things.

No doubt our FE has also been tempted but I think he also will have decided against upgrading (in my opinion downgrading)

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

canarieslover

I tried various clip on lights, but none of them would cover the whole page satisfactorily

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I have two Kindles in the house, and have never experienced freezing problems, although I know some people have.

The sheer advantage of having a light, slim device that can store a whole library full of books, is easy to read, even in sunlight, and can download a book within a minute or so, pretty well anywhere, far outweighs any risk of freezing. I've saved a lot of money by having a Kindle, and if it goes badly wrong I shall look to Amazon to provide a new one.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

.. and if it goes badly wrong I shall look to Amazon to provide a new one.

Amazon have been very unsympathetic to customers having freezing problems apparently. They must be aware of both the problem and cause but I have seen no indication they are taking action to remedy (what I consider) a design fault. Whether Amazon would react to action under the Sale of Goods Act I don't know, But the publicity may cause them to think twice.

However, if a Kindle does fail it will prevent you accessing your reading material and if you are not in a position to get a replacement immediately - no reading. Books are still more reliable - and less attractive to thieves!!

But then, you may have no problems with getting a replacement as you are in a position to apply pressure many of us are not.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

johndrew - there are other e-book readers than Kindles. I use a Sony and don't use Amazon. The e-books are on my PC and reader. I recently changed reader (the old one was beginning to have problems) and all of my books transferred.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

johndrew

I know nothing of the freezing issue. We have two in our house and they're both fine.

What I can tell you is that when my girlfriend's Kindle screen physically broke they sent a replacement that arrived next day, along with a label to return the old one in the same box - that is absolutely brilliant service.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Yes I have always found Amazon are on the ball re customer satisfaction. But whether it would replace a Kindle that had been damaged by an airport x-ray machine I do not know. We will probably find out at some stage I suppose.

I wonder if they do a part exchange deal? I wouldn't mind doing a swap for a new one, when they have upgraded to one that does colour pictures etc. They could then sell on the old one after a bit of a refurbishment at a reasonable price.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I wonder if they do a part exchange deal?"

They don't.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

But whether it would replace a Kindle that had been damaged by an airport x-ray machine I do not know

It's stopped working, you don't know why, so if it's in warranty they'll swap it.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Woolwell

I am aware of several other readers - a number cheaper than Kindle - as Amazon sell them.

You mention transferring e-books; are you saying that books on Kindle are compatible with other readers and PCs?

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

alan14

I know nothing of the freezing issue.

I suggest you read my first link and do a little research. It may save you problems.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback