We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the site getting better ot worse

mole1944

Likes # 0

Just lately i find this site splutters and jumps all over the place,i'm on ie9,is it me my machine or the site.Even replying to a post is now getting to be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry to moan but things do seem to getting worse,i've noticed some of the quieries seem very old and are on the top of the pile in each section.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Phil Ocifer

With respect, you have no idea how many people are using the forums. Don't make a judgement based on the number of posts you see - that's not any kind of indicator of total traffic. Over 5 million pages a month are clicked on our site overall, and an awful lot of those are in the forums.

As for being "slow, clunky, problematic and full of adverts." Current average page loading times are the fastest they have ever been, we've ironed out many of the problems that plagued us a while ago, and adverts are necessary if we are to continue to provide what is a huge free resource.

One which you seem to use largely for the purpose of making negative comments.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"i'm on ie9,is it me my machine or the site."

It's probably IE9 in the main - we're trying to sort out why at the moment, but my guess is one or more of the ad servers.

Have you tried using Google Chrome? You might get a pleasant surprise.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

I use Safari and it's the same on that. I don't think it's fair to complain about adverts, after all it's still the best place for free advice in my opinion.

Like this post
Flak999

Likes # 0

For me personally, the site at the moment is very fast. I am using chrome and I find that as a browser it is fast and very problem free, as is this site currently! (will I regret that comment?)

Like this post
T0SH

Likes # 0

When I access any forum post with (Tcpview) running I see anything up to 39 or more tcp ports opening , on most other sites the norm is 5 or 6 on the odd occasion up to 12 , I also get occasional warning that a script is causing IE run slowly, if I choose yes to stop it the page then seems to respond almost instantly for a short while ?

Cheers HC

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Flak999

You and me and our big mouths.

We've disabled some of the behind-the-scenes items that affected page loading speeds, but it's an ongoing thing. Overall, site traffic has increased considerably of late, and although we're delighted to see it happen there can be penalties in terms of performance at peak times.

We watch the server loads in real time, and we can see when there are unexpected traffic peaks. That's when there's a possibility of page loads slowing. We'll keeping trying.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

T0SH

Se my response to Flak999 above.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Using Dial-up, IE8, XP sp3 [on 3 different computers], each with different virus checkers, at the moment, no problems whatsoever.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used to get problems with IE9 as well sometimes I could not sign in Etc.Switching compatibility mode off or on fixed that problem.

The problem was I cannot remember if it was switching it off or on that was the fix.

Whatever it is set to on your computer switch it to the opposite and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't have a problem with this site using IE9 but I do have an anti-banner working

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote