We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the site getting better ot worse

mole1944

Likes # 0

Just lately i find this site splutters and jumps all over the place,i'm on ie9,is it me my machine or the site.Even replying to a post is now getting to be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry to moan but things do seem to getting worse,i've noticed some of the quieries seem very old and are on the top of the pile in each section.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

mole1944.

The threads at the top stay there because they are current. As they get older and replies lessen so they gradually go lower and lower down the page until they either disappear or get resurrected by someone later. There's nothing unusual about that.

Whether it's your machine or just you, can be found out by buying a new machine or getting a "proper man" in to check it for you.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 1

What ever happened to the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. ever since the change things have been going wrong, old site worked fine on IE9 so stop blaming it

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 1

Thanks for all your replies,i'm trying to close the thread but can't find whare or what to click to close it,i tried to contact FE all i got was a rectangular box with a wait icon spinning round ans after 5 minutes nothing.It is and maybe a good site but there is something amiss with it,i'm on the point of saying byee to you all,i look after my wife with dementia and could do without the extra stress this site is causing me.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

Trust me to open my big mouth and say it was finally working for me but 5 hours later it was as bad as ever. Since I moved out east it is taking me an average of 4-5 minutes just to change a page. My lap top is just as I used in the UK and my BB is actually faster here than in rural Shropshire.

I fully expect the FE to defend to the hilt what is after all his baby but I also think that he needs to recognise that many of his regular users are finding it more difficult to actually use the site. Basically I don't give two hoots if 1 million or two million users use the site I just expect it to work and of late that cannot be said. I use FF and IE9 and to be honest there is very little difference to me as both don't seem to work properly on this site.

There is obviously something not right and I'm pretty sure PCA is doing its damnest to try and sort it out but for many months now it seems to be one problem after another.

Not exactly a wonderful advert for a computer magazine but I'll stick around and hope that things get better as they hopefully cannot get much worse. As it is now after 6am time for bed but I expect FE will be responding in due course as I fully expect him to.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Condom: - Amen

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

It's IE9 that's the problem - in my opinion. I have tried Firefox, Chrome, Opera and IE9 and IE9 gives me most problems! AND it gives me problems with other websites including my own --grrrr.

Like this post
Phil Ocifer

Likes # 0

Mole 1944

You can't "Close" the thread but you can mark it "Answered", but even that doesn't stop people posting to it.

At the bottom right hand corner of each answer, you will see a big grey tick. Find the answer that most suitably addresses your original post. Click the Tick and wait (and wait) until it turns green. Job Done! It's a "toggle" so you can undo it and choose another answer if you want. Then you can click another link or bomb out of the thread whatever suits you.

You don't get the tick on other peoples posts, just your own. You can "Like" someone elses answer on other peoples posts by clicking the "thumbs up" icon.

Only the Moderator can properly "Close" a thread by Locking it. You'll see the occasional red padlock denoting a particularly interesting or controversial thread that has got out of hand. Or in the case of the FEs thread about Top Cats post, a particularly uninteresting pointer to a "moved" thread.

Don't get stressed over the site. Gloss over undesired comments and be prepared to click a link and walk away for a few minutes. I'm getting through lots of coffee!! Write your replies in wordpad then copy and paste into the thread.

Alternatively, visit the PCA site on a smartphone or mobile device throught Safari or similar where ads are few and far between.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Cheers phil

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

I have been using Chrome for a while now, only use IE while at work because I have no choice and I'm not impressed with it!

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

I've just downloaded Chrome to try.

I tried coming into this thread by clicking on Strawballs last entry, but the site took me to Moles opening post with no other entries visible. Tried again with the same results so third attempt had to join at the start and then go to the last page.

I have had the same issue with IE9.

The most annoying problem for me though is where the words I type don't appear on the screen for up to 30 seconds or so later.

Not had the page freezing thus far with Chrome or the long script error that seems an issue with IE9 on many sites recently.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Microsoft teases new OS ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

From the iPhone 6 to the iWatch and a new Apple TV we look at the products Apple is set to launch...

IDG UK Sites

September 2014 creative trends: 5 things you must see

IDG UK Sites

What to expect from Apple in autumn/winter 2014: iPhone 6, iPhone Air, iWatch, iPad 6, new Apple...