We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is the site getting better ot worse

mole1944

Likes # 0

Just lately i find this site splutters and jumps all over the place,i'm on ie9,is it me my machine or the site.Even replying to a post is now getting to be more trouble than it's worth. Sorry to moan but things do seem to getting worse,i've noticed some of the quieries seem very old and are on the top of the pile in each section.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

T0SH

Se my response to Flak999 above.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Using Dial-up, IE8, XP sp3 [on 3 different computers], each with different virus checkers, at the moment, no problems whatsoever.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I used to get problems with IE9 as well sometimes I could not sign in Etc.Switching compatibility mode off or on fixed that problem.

The problem was I cannot remember if it was switching it off or on that was the fix.

Whatever it is set to on your computer switch it to the opposite and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I don't have a problem with this site using IE9 but I do have an anti-banner working

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I get the Jumping, I thought it was my Optic mouse that I was catching FF 16.0.2

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 1

Trust me to open my big mouth and say it was finally working for me but 5 hours later it was as bad as ever. Since I moved out east it is taking me an average of 4-5 minutes just to change a page. My lap top is just as I used in the UK and my BB is actually faster here than in rural Shropshire.

I fully expect the FE to defend to the hilt what is after all his baby but I also think that he needs to recognise that many of his regular users are finding it more difficult to actually use the site. Basically I don't give two hoots if 1 million or two million users use the site I just expect it to work and of late that cannot be said. I use FF and IE9 and to be honest there is very little difference to me as both don't seem to work properly on this site.

There is obviously something not right and I'm pretty sure PCA is doing its damnest to try and sort it out but for many months now it seems to be one problem after another.

Not exactly a wonderful advert for a computer magazine but I'll stick around and hope that things get better as they hopefully cannot get much worse. As it is now after 6am time for bed but I expect FE will be responding in due course as I fully expect him to.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Condom: - Amen

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 1

What ever happened to the saying if it ain't broke don't fix it. ever since the change things have been going wrong, old site worked fine on IE9 so stop blaming it

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Thanks for all your comments,i had the computer checked by my son he's IT manager for performance and procurement for a worldwide motor manufacturer,and if anyone knows about computers he does and he say my machine is fine.it's (Don't laugh) an Advent DT2304 with 8Gb ram and running at 2.7GHz and only a month old.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

"Since I moved out east it is taking me an average of 4-5 minutes just to change a page."

Do me a personal favour will you? Click away from the forum and look at other pages on the site - let me know what happens as far as page loading is concerned.

A delay of 4-5 minutes to load a page is unheard of as far as we're concerned - it has certainly never happened in the entire time I've been involved with the site. We have quite a few users in Thailand - as I write this 18 of them are actively using the site - and we haven't received any similar complaints. That's why I'm asking you to try other pages, to see if it's specifically a problem with the forum for you.

As for defending things to the hilt, of course I'll do that if there's a defence to be made - I imagine you would do exactly the same thing if you were in my position. Nothing for me to be ashamed of about that. If there's something wrong we want to put it right, but we need to know exactly what is wrong first. The problem is that no two people have precisely the same story to tell, it makes it difficult. I'm using the site at home at the moment, on an ordinary laptop, using Google Chrome via a wireless network and a BT Infinity connection. Forum pages are loading almost instantly for me. I just tried using Firefox, and it's exactly the same.

Using IE9 things are noticeably slower. both on our site and on several others I tried. Nevertheless I can load a BBC news page in around 3 seconds.

The only difference between you and I is that I'm in London and you're in Thailand, and we're using different ISPs. I've tried clicking around a few Thai sites in Chrome and IE9. In Chrome all pages load in milliseconds, in IE9 the loading time is slower, but still pretty fast.

We're not giving up on this, but it's far from easy - only a very few people seem to be having a problem, and that makes it more difficult for us to fathom. It might seem as if it's a common complaint, but actually it tends to be the same people each time the subject crops up.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons not to wait for the Apple Watch: Why you shouldn't buy the iWatch

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How Emotional Debt is damaging digital design

IDG UK Sites

iPhone buying advice: Should I buy an iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, or iPhone 5c, or wait for7......