We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What first brought you here, and when?

Forum Editor
Resolved

Likes # 0

Perhaps, as we near the end of our forum's twelfth year on-line we might take a little stroll down memory lane.

Can you remember what first brought you into the forum, when it was, and what the experience was like - did you come here because you had a problem that needed solving, or simply to see what went on? Some of you have been here for a very long time, and presumably you're still here for a reason.

I hope we can run a thread like this without it descending into a discussion about your pet dislikes, but if it goes that way, so be it, I can take it.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

According to my "My Posts" page I've been here since March 2001. I was building PCs for friends and therefore became unpaid 24/7 tech support, so being a PCA reader I started asking questions in the helproom.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Came here just over 10 years ago to ask a question relating to XP and printing photos which I never properly solved, suspect that I would have had to reinstall XP and it didn't greatly matter. Stuck around, asked a few questions, got some good answers (especially about a UPS system) and stayed.

Like this post
marvin42

Likes # 0

My daughter recommended the forum and I joined in July 2006. Apparently I've posted 816 times - I wouldn't have guessed it was as many as that but I guess others will be way ahead of me.

I have found the help here is unbeatable and try to contribute when I feel able. Unfortunately there don't seem to be as many posts now as there used to be. Inevitable some "older" members will withdraw - I often wonder what happened to some like Stuartli and Marcus and VoG doesn't seem to post very often now.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I had recently bought a computer and was looking for advice. I haven't looked at My Posts page to find out when that first was, but at a guess I would think about the year 2000. Since then I have not used the Helproom page for a lot because I tend to start to look for other problems and invariably find they apply to me. So I tend to keep away in case something that can be altered or fiddled with.

So I look out for interesting discussions on this Speakers Corner and then try to disrupt them. Other contributors are much more adept at doing that than I am though. Of course I remain on here because it is more of a social site and although some of the threads bore me, there are some that interest me. I expect the Jimmy Savile one will go on for quite a while once the other Paedophiles are "outed"... Unless of course it gets out of hand by people guessing who they are going to be. I have a feeling the silver mouse is poised to edit any offending suggestions out.

Long may these forums reign. Oh yes "Thanks" for letting me use them.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It appears that I am now into my 7th year and my first approach on line would have no doubt been a problem with XP. I had taken the magazine for some years before that after moving from PC Direct and PC Magazine.

In those days it seemed most people on here built their own PC's and there always seemed to be a ready supply of answers to most problems. Since the arrival of Win 7 these problems appear to have all but vanished.

I was probably bored one evening and tried the Speakers Forum and I have contributed off and on ever since. Seen many familiar names vanish over the years and some have re-appeared but of course not everyone sticks with the same name. I have often thought about changing my own name but what is the point. Nowadays I just look from time to time to see what is being said about things or occasionally just make a posting to stir the pot.

Like this post
exdragon

Likes # 0

I joined in February 2001, after having retired from work where I had a technical department to call on when things went wrong. I'd just bought my own computer and was almost scared to turn it on. I think I found you from a magazine article (Computer Active, perhaps?) and after lurking for a while, tentatively posted some questions, convinced that I wouldn't understand the answers. However, people were very patient and I've picked up a lot over the years and have answered one or two questions myself. Not many, considering the number I've asked, but never mind!

A few years ago, I did part time work and it was good to know that you helped me to be the 'expert' in situations where everyone was a lot younger than me - it boosted this pensioner granny's ego no end!

Like this post
Brumas

Likes # 0

When I had a windows PC I was forever asking questions, in Helproom, on what had gone wrong or why does/doesn't this happen. When I finally saw the light and migrated to an iMac the problems that I had had didn't seem to occur so regularly, so I lurked around the Speaker's Corner and now I feel like part of the furniture!

Friday nights, for me, just wouldn't be the same unless I was clogging up the bandwidth on Speaker's Corner, having said that I'm pretty sure many others may disagree ;o}}

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Joined as a reader in 2002, asked my first question six months later - still here and asking questions.

Like this post  
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Looking at my first 3 posts, it was the usual niggly XP/Win 98 problems that required investigating at a deeper level below the surface than I understood at the time. Windows 7 seems to have cured that requirement by way of self diagnostic and repair abilities.

Why do you ask? Are you looking to send some of us off packing...

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Sadly I have no idea when I joined, 'My Posts' tell me it was in Aug 2012 (0.2 months ago!) - and I'm sure fourm member would agree that I've been a thorn in his side for much longer than that!!

But, it seems I'm still a victim of the hiccup of Aug 2012 (the thread "Reinvented", at that time, sort of explains it) so I was reborn - even though I didn't have to do a name-change like many others had to!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features