We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motorway tolls

pabby

Likes # 0

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

likely all round increases on goods and services

There's no likely about it. If the cost of moving goods to market increases then someone will have to pay.

Bingalau - Re your comment about hauliers haveing the same fuel as farmers, you may or may not remember, but that was mentioned in my election manifesto.

WTM

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

WTM. No I didn't remember that but to me it seems to be the ideal solution. It should also be stabilised in some way, so that it remains a steady cost and the truckers have nothing to moan about. I'm sure you for one would be happy with that. Of course we plebs who drive cars for pleasure would be subsidising the truck drivers, but we should be getting cheaper goods in return.

Wouldn't it be nice if it actually came about and inflation stopped dead in its tracks. Of course there are other things that affect inflation which will soon be pointed out to me by members of the forum. But it would certainly help.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ah Paris in the rush hour!

I still have nightmares.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

fm-France's road traffic accident statistics make for very sober reading,i can understand that around major conurbations the traffic increases but where i go the road,other than at peak moments,are near empty.

One of the gripes about through traffic in small towns is having no alternative route for heavy traffic.In Ussel the traffic at times is atrocious and dangerous because the town is not built for this kind of traffic,think Soho,small area, with juggernauts every minute.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

fourm member

Depends what you mean by 'road tax'

If you are referring to the vehicle excise duty disc displayed in the windscreen then you are probably right.

However, this thread is about paying for motorway usage, and that is going to have a big impact on the cost of operating a large goods vehicle. Either by tolls, or increased fuel consumption as trucks use cheaper, more congested roads.

In the end, we'll all pay that cost.

WTM

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Speaking of france, I take great pains to avoid driving within 100 miles of paris. To the best of my knowledge the last foreign drivers to negotiate parisian traffic unscathed were hitlers panzers!

Even rural france presents it own hazards, as you carefully negotiate a blind bend to find one of the locals taking their half of the road out of the middle!

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"To the best of my knowledge the last foreign drivers to negotiate parisian traffic unscathed were hitlers panzers!"

I did it for six months when I worked there. it's certainly a little scary at first, but French friends tell me they find driving in London is terrifying when they come here.

It's a question of what you get used to. I drove a fair bit in Provence when I was there in June, and it was fine. Busy in the towns and villages, but a joy in the countryside.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"I don't think any government would be stupid enough to introduce a measure that would be inclined to move heavies off the motorways."

this one is

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

"this one is"

Do you seriously think that a heavy haulage company is going to take all its vehicles off the motorways and send them down minor roads, with all the resulting delays to deliveries, simply to avoid a motorway toll charge, or an increase in the excise duty?

Haulage firms will pay up and pass the cost onto their customers. Their customers will pass the cost to consumers.

The minor roads will not be jammed solid with heavy lorries - anyone who says otherwise is simply scaremongering. In any case, the idea is just that at the moment - no decision has been made.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Do you seriously think that a heavy haulage company is going to take all its vehicles off the motorways and send them down minor roads, with all the resulting delays to deliveries, simply to avoid a motorway toll charge, or an increase in the excise duty?

Frankly, yes! Most general haulage companies wont even stump up for the money to use the M6 toll road to avoid one of the busiest sections of motorway in the country. Own account operators are slightly different in that they have an easier time passing the cost on, but even they are reticent to do so.

[And when money is required to be paid out for truck usage (tolls for briges, tunnels etc as well as parking) then the driver has to find the money first and then gets reimbursed if he's lucky and someone in an office doesnt quibble about it, usually with the remark of 'why didnt you go this way instead?']

WTM

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks