We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motorway tolls

pabby

Likes # 0

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

carver. My daughter is also heavily into horses and always has been since she saw her first donkey on the beach. When we moved to this house which has a (normal sized) garden she wanted me to buy her a horse and said we could keep it in the garden. She laughs now when I tell her of those far off days. She cost me an arm and a leg over the years with her outfits and kit for riding. So I have picked up a bit of knowledge of horses from her of course. That's how I know they have a leg at each corner. When she first got a job with horses I sat and helped her through various exams and she's worked at a few famous stables. She used to love cleaning the stables and mucking out. She taught one horse she was looking after how to drink a can of coke, I never found out if that was good for it or not.

She hasn't been able to work with them for a couple of years now as she is having spinal problems, probably because of falling off horses. At the moment she is awaiting an operation and hoping she can go back to them. Her own daughter's aren't interested at all. Funny old world innit?

I really bought my little car so that you could run your horse box with impunity, you can do my share of the polluting.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

If all Road Tax Went on Fuel, Like the more you use the more Tax you pay. That would be my Idea on Fair way to Pay for roads and Tax that they want and would be less complex. Glad I am at the end of my motoring Years, though I still Drive and need my Car as I am Disabled. But the government is too greedy, and it’s the same who ever gets in power, Hit the Motorist that as always been the way in England

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Jock1e - "put a toll road on the border". There is one on the borer of Devon and Cornwall - the Tamar Bridge. It's free to enter Cornwall but you to have to pay to get out.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The Tamar Bridge has an electronic toll system tamar crossing electronic crossing system. A similar system could be devised for toll roads.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I think that tolls should only apply if a new motorway is built not funded from taxation. We already pay more in road tax than is spent on roads.

Like this post
csqwared

Likes # 0

I'm inclined to agree with woodchip on this one and tax fuel. Not only does it ensure the heavy users pay the most, it would also ensure those who, illegally, avoid road tax pay their fair share. My only concern would be how the level of additional fuel tax would be arrived at, it could be seen as a bit of a money spinner for HMG.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

The toll roads in France are virtually empty, except, maybe on holidays.This is just another excuse to sell off the public's patrimony.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Presumably those in favour of this scheme will have no problems with the cost of everything in the shops going up as the increased road transport costs are passed on down the line to the end consumer. That means YOU!

WTM

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What about the poor foreign truck driver? Will they also have to pay more to use our roads?

I also think that taxes should be raised by putting the cost on fuel and doing away with road tax. I suppose a lot of people would lose admin jobs of course. Truck drivers should be then treated the same as farmers, and have a different coloured diesel fuel which should be cheaper. (I don't want to bring the wrath of WTM down on my head of course). But that should surely keep the cost of transporting goods around the country down. It might even prevent the supermarkets from upping prices every chance they get.

Ordinary drivers such as me, who think nothing of shooting off somewhere at the drop of a hat, would think twice and have to save our pennies, before going on a jaunt. It might also reduce the school run and put kids back on bikes so making them a bit fitter. If I had to save up before going down south to a re-union or visiting relatives then so be it. There is always the wonderful train service.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

I rarely use motorways, but not having a crystal ball, I have no way of knowing what journeys I might make in the next 12 months. So how am I supposed to know whether to opt for the higher tax rate, if it ever came about.

The truth is, I am likely to err on the side of caution and pay the extra and I suspect many others will be in the same boat (or car).

I have long been in favour of abolishing road tax and increasing fuel duty, but that is for selfish reasons because I only do about 5k miles p.a. and prefer to use public transport where feasible. I am sure WTM would refer to increased commercial costs and likely all round increases on goods and services if that ever came about (as he has quite rightly pointed out already).

Time to move to Norfolk methinks.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes