We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Motorway tolls

pabby

Likes # 0

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Where I live toll roads are very common and even when travelling in a taxi the passenger has to pay the toll. When approaching a toll area the traffic is horrendous as most ordinary people try to get off on to the other roads and so nothing moves. The tolls are about £1 which is a lot for an average Thai worker.

The problem is that even the tolls roads are so crowded that you are actually paying for nothing as you can sometimes travel quicker on the ordinary roads. You tend to get angry when you have paid your toll and just sit there for 30 minutes not moving but there is no refund and basically it is money going to private investors for no benefit. After 10pm the system works just fine but tends to be a bit of a racetrack.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Can't remember the last time I was on a motorway. If you live north of the Forth you don't see many of them.

However, since I helped pay for them I don't think I should pay to use them, except through road tax and fuel duty.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

A good way of increasing the population of Scotland would be to put a toll road on the border and that would let the rest of the Uk visit Scotland if they wanted to do so.

It would also keep the motorist's of Scotland north of the border as there is no way they would pay the road toll to go South.

Apart from that there should be no road toll's I thought that was what we paid road tax for.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

" I do, however, pay far too much road tax because the system doesn't allow for a 50% discount if a car is used only partly for a disabled person."

I am coming to the same situation.

While the car is registered in my wife's name, and I am the driver, as she becomes less able to get in and out of the car I am more and more alone, although driving for my wife's benefit.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"However, since I helped pay for them I don't think I should pay to use them, except through road tax and fuel duty."

First of all, the proposal, which is one of a number of options being considered, is to create a two-tier vehicle excise licensing system.

You would be able to opt for a lower tax band if you don't use motorways. People who want to use them would opt for the higher band.

Personally I think it would be a nightmare to operate, as many people use both types of road. The effect would be that lots of people would have to pay the higher band tax, even if they only used motorways occasionally.

Far better, in my opinion, would be a tolling system that worked via smartcards stuck on the car windscreen. When I've driven on Australian motorways I've used that system - you pre-pay on the card, and a reader suspended above the motorway debits the card as you pass underneath. If you don't have any money on your card you receive a bill for your journey.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

The problem I have is that we have a 7.5 ton horse box, now the best way to use it is to get onto a motorway as soon as possible, but if I am to be charged extra then I would just use the A Roads creating more slow moving traffic.

You all know how frustrating is is to be behind some thing doing 30 on a 60mph stretch of road so more accidents as people try to over take.

But it's all the fault of these people who have bought these little cars and are not paying as much road tax.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

carver. So it's all my fault because I have bought a little car. That's a bit rich isn't it? Why don't you go back to letting your horse pull a cart to wherever you are going? I don't think they charge road tax on horse and carts do they? Letting you horse ride around in a luxurious box seems silly to me when it has a leg on each corner. Make the lazy animal walk wherever it wants to go.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Bing.alau my daughters horses are worth more than a lot of the cars on the roads and as for being lazy if you can jump as high as her horse I'll put it in front of a cart, she jumps 1.65mtr and when she jumps a Square Oxer I can't look. (as wide as high)

We are off tomorrow to a show that's over 60 miles away and with the best will in the world I don't think we can hack the horses that far then get them to jump.

And back to your reply, how dare you buy a little car so the rest of us have to pay more.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm not aware of any divorces because a wife found out her hubbie was in London and not on the golf course"

That's because it's easy to cheat. All you have to do is drive across the charging line, and then drive back out. Voila! you've entered the London Congestion Zone, and the charge will be debited from your bank account at the end of the month if, like me, you are registered on the automated system. The monthly charge simply shows a total amount, it doesn't give details of which days you were inside the zone.

Not that I've ever needed to fool my wife in that way, you understand.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

how very complicated!

The government lower the tax to get us into "green cars"

Just increase the tax back up again but keeping the same system of taxing more for the gas guzzlers that emit the most fumes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

View an animated vision of a better future for Ethiopian girls

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...