We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

MP Banned and Fined

morddwyd

Likes # 0

An MP has been fined £200 and banned for eight weeks for no insurance and no MOT.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-20102813

I'm probably being a bit paranoid, and I have no sentencing statistics to quote, but I believe that this is a bit lenient compared to what a 17 year old from a sink estate in Manchester might have got.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

morddwyd it's OK because "A Labour party source said: "Jon made a simple mistake. It was human error. He is very sorry."

See a a 17 year old from a sink estate in Manchester wouldn't have said sorry, most likely car crushed, 12 months ban and a large fine he has no chance of paying because he's got no job.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

In my opinion it is a lenient sentence given the car may have been seized and the driver had no reason whatsoever to use it without correct cover.

However the site indicates this to have been an acceptable penalty for lack of insurance and even 'Mr Loophole' only got £60 for no MOT.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

For this MP £200 is nothing but for a 17 year old it might be the equivalent of a £20 fine.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Maybe they take in to account years of undiscovered crime? A lad from one of those estates you talk about, couldn't have built up many crime free years. But an MP, being older and (supposedly) wiser has many years behind him/her.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

Bingalau

Are you sure you've got that the right way round?

WTM

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

I wonder if he'll keep his job as 'co-ordinator of Labour's policy review'.

Of course he will, he wears a red tie!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I see there's the usual amount of knee-jerking going on.

The normal penalty for a first offence of driving without a valid MOT is a £200 fine and six points on your licence, provided there are no aggravating circumstances. A banning penalty is something that Magistrates have discretion over, so they'll decide each case on its merits, and the fine can go up to a maximum of £1000, again depending on circumstances.

The driving without insurance offence carries a fine of up to £5000 and a discretionary ban penalty. Again, the penalties are related to circumstances.

In this case the man pleaded guilty, he obviously cooperated fully with the Police and the courts, and the Magistrates imposed what they though was an appropriate penalty. It happens dozens of times a day up and down the country, I wouldn't have thought this case is worthy of much coverage, but no doubt the Tory press will make as much hay as possible while there's the smallest amount of sunshine.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"!provided there are no aggravating circumstances. "

There are those who might think that the fact that he is an MP is an aggravating circumstance!

On the other hand there are those who would see it as a mitigating circumstance!

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

WTM Possibly?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

You know how in the 60's it was OK to make jokes about black people, because most people thought it was perfectly fine to be prejudiced against them?

Well I think that MPs are this decade's acceptable target for prejudice...

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia