We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Braking problem on Peugeot 406

Sapins
Resolved

Likes # 0

Not sure where to post this so I'll start here.

I bought a Peugeot 406 new in 2000. The problem is when braking hard from a speed over 100km per hour there is violent vibration up through the steering wheel. As soon as the speed decreases to under 90km per hour the braking is normal and efficient. In the first year under warranty I took the car to a main dealer in Spain, I was on holiday, they replaced the discs and pads. Later in the same year I was in the UK and had the same problem, again discs and pads replaced. Out of warranty over the preceding years I have had the main dealer in France, where I live, replace the discs and pads twice and on a more recent date they skimmed the discs. I have had contact with Peugeot in Paris who asked the dealer to look carefully at the car, they could not find the answer!

On each visit to all the Peugeot dealers I took a mechanic out and demonstrated the problem. I am aware it is a bit late but I have told Peugeot Paris I will pay for repairs if only they can find the cause of the problem. Their latest response has been to tell me they will get the car bought off me by the dealer, I have said I prefer to keep the car as it has, apart from this one problem, to be very reliable. We have looked after it and had it serviced as per the handbook.

Obviously I cannot in all conscience sell it privately and Peugeot will only give me the trade price.

Any help anyone can give me will be greatly appreciated.

Like this post

Likes # 0

The ONLY cause of disc warp is uneven heat build up across the disc surface . This is normally caused by uneven carbon content in the steel . It is a common problem in all Peugeots , and always has been since I started working in the motor trade over 35 years ago . The best solution I have found is to replace discs , but to use Brembo discs . These are manufactured as a matched pair , with even carbon distribution given a high priority .

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Got the car back yesterday evening, they had replaced the hubs and bearings, apparently out of alignment, as well as the discs and pads. I will give it a few hundred Km and then test the braking. As an aside my wife complained a couple of times recently that I was drifting over to one side of the road, I did feel the car was at fault doing this and it looks like that was the case. I also now think that the hubs and bearings had something to do with the braking fault from the beginning, but, Peugeot have refused to make any payment, I can't really blame them due to the age of the car, still, if I get another couple of years from it, longer if nothing major goes wrong, I'll be happy.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

That makes sense of the problem.

Does the garage man think that the hubs wore out of alignment over time, or were a manufactured fault?

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Hello Quickbeam,

I picked the car up at the end of the day so I didn't have time to discuss things, I will ask next time I'm passing. I suppose it will be difficult to tell about the hubs and i don't think Peugeot will admit it could have been a manufacturing fault.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

Never know hub bearing problems to cause wheel misalignment, bearings must have had a fair amount of wear, I would imagine wheels must must have been ready to drop off.

Like this post
Sapins

Likes # 0

Well I finally tested the brakes on a down sloping road, got up to 120kph and hit the brakes hard, totally without any traces of vibration and very smooth slowing down so it looks like the problem is solved.

I would like to thank you all again for your help which is really appreciated.

I will now keep the car, at least until it becomes uneconomical to continue.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings