We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Cap on benefits for children

Strawballs

Likes # 0

It is rare I agree with the Tories but I do on this one If I had gone to my boss and said I need a pay rise because we are having another child he would have just said you should have thought if you could afford it first.

Benefit cap

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

This is a nettle that needed grasping. Successive governments have wanted to do it, but all of them have shied away out of fear for the negative reactions it will generate.

In truth it would contribute little in terms of savings towards our economic recovery, but that's not the main point - it will send a message to those who live inside the benefit culture that the gravy train is slowing.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Not an easy one to call.

I have no wish to see children disadvantaged through no fault of their own.

On another thread I suggest we have too few workers to support the rising number of pensioners. One solution to that problem is to increase the number of workers by encouraging a higher birth rate.

We won't develop a highly skilled workforce by raising children in poverty however.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

It does make me think the the Daily Mail is now the Tories chief policy advisor.

That's not to say I disagree on this particular matter

Like this post
SeiyaIkki

Likes # 0

I wish this could happen. However this is a very sensitive subject and there are pros and cons.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

I think it should be staggered, the first child cost more than the second or third for several reasons - set-up cost of the home, stopping work and earning less money, by the time you get to the second and third you will still have the equipment and probably not yet gone back to full time work so the 'cost' is less. More than three children and you should be 'on yer own' if you can afford more then pay for them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I totally agree with this proposal as it will discourage the proliferation of foreign 'baby-machines' that milk the system.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

UK spending on family benefits as a percentage of GDP is the third highest of all major economies, and I see no reason why people should assume that they can keep on producing children, even if they can't afford to support them, secure in the knowledge that the State will provide them with more money.

Of course there would be problems if this policy was introduced, and of course there will be the 'child poverty' argument, but that doesn't mean it couldn't work. It means that there should be lots of consultation, and a great deal of careful planning, but that's what governments are for, isn't it?

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I mirror wiz-king's comments exactly.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I agree with wiz-king and Nontek. Not only on the grounds that "Why should others expect me , via tax,to pay them to have children they cannot afford", but also because the world population is already too high and if anything we should pay to reduce it (Except for the problem of too few youngsters to pay for too many oldies, some of whom have not been able to accumulate a pension on top of the "state" one.)

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

"A quarter of all babies born in the UK are the children of immigrants"

http://tinyurl.com/cz23tvm

So no doubt they will all be entitled to child benefit and subsidiary benefits.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...