We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

retired should work for pension

BSOD

Likes # 0

"Retired people should be encouraged to do community work such as caring for the "very old" or face losing some of their pension, a peer has suggested."

Sounds reasonable. Pensioners will take far more out of the system than they ever put in, what with all the related perks they get. Even those with private pensions should either contribute or loose part of their benefit.

ps I am over 60 and would be keen to work for my pension.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-20044862

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

I am 76 and would readily work if I was fit enough. The one suggesting the above will not have to worry about his pension, Tax Payers are already paying him for it, They need to see how the other half live for just six months would prove a point

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Clearly those not fit enough to work for their pension should have it reduced accordingly.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

quiller, if you are willing and able to work for your pension, why aren't you already doing it like the majority of us already do. Lollipop men/women, Charity shops, unpaid babysitting, listening to reading practice for young children, giving emotional support, carers, gardening/shopping/errands for less able neighbours and relatives, giving advice on helproom forums, etc etc.

Hmm, reading that back it sounds just like a proper community where we take (unpaid) care of each other.

As Woodchip says "They need to see how the other half live"

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Sounds reasonable."

No, it doesn't, it sounds very silly, and any government that tries to introduce such a law will face a massive backlash at the ballot box.

The implications of having older people looking after even older people are too awful to contemplate.

Like this post
BSOD

Likes # 0

lotvic

Already do. I am the main carer for a 40 year old serverly disabled male.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Working after retirement is fine, if it's a voluntary thing.

Coercing people to do it with a threat that they'll lose some of their pension if they don't is a ludicrous proposal, and it will not happen.

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

Would it not be better having older people looking after even older people rather than no one looking after them?

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I agree that co

Like this post
Al94

Likes # 0

I agree that coercement is not the way forward.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

quiller, then perhaps you'll agree that Lord B "The peer is a member of a committee investigating demographic changes and their impact on public services" doesn't realise that the majority of able 'retired' people are already a positive part of society. I think he is seriously out of touch with the real world of the retired.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

5 things we want to see in Android M: New features and fixes

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 release date rumours: 'iPad mini Air' will be 30 percent thinner than current model

IDG UK Sites

Introducing generation tech

IDG UK Sites

This animated film reveals the importance of designing for everyone