We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The end of UK Transit production

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Following fast on the heels of todays announcement Ford are to close their massive Genk factory in Belgium, speculation is that they will announce tomorrow the closure of the Southampton Transit plant. A massive ad campaign a few years ago stating: "Transit- the backbone of Britain" seems Ironic now as more jobs are lost due to this spineless government.

More hollow promises about helping the workers and we will do all we can, whilst still fiddling expenses, fiddling rent on taxpayer bought properties. How long before we become a third world country, because in my eyes we are certainly heading that way.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Not the end of Ford in UK. Whole vehicle manufacturing will end but engines will be produced at Dagenham and Bridgend and transmissions at Halewood. They also have a large research facility in Essex.

Still a sad day.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Perhaps it is not as bad as some have been suggesting. Personally I think Ford itself has lost the plot just like many other USA vehicle manufacturers. Look at the mess they made of Volvo, Saab, and more locally Land Rover and jaguar. Perhaps some more enlightened manufacturer may decide to have a look at the market and give it another go and make a success of it. The Japanese have set up good vehicle manufacturing facilities in the UK and also made a success of it as have the Indians so perhaps it is just the US based ones which are presently struggling.

Out here in Thailand it is now rare to see any Ford vehicles on the roads and these roads are very crowded. The only US based manufactured brand who appears to be doing well is Chevvy but this is a newish phenomenon. The only EU brand selling consistently well is Mercedes and they are cheap here compared to many others as they are assembled here and are therefore not hit with the huge Thai import duties.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Out here in Thailand it is now rare to see any Ford vehicles on the roads"

That's going to change.

Ford opened its most advanced assembly plant at Rayong (Thailand) in May of this year. It will produce 150,000 cars a year when running at full production, and a lot of those will go onto the roads in Thailand. The company sold almost half a million Focus cars in the first half of this year, and if they maintain that performance the Focus is on track to become the biggest selling car in the world for the year - not too bad for a company which you think has "lost the plot".

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Glad to hear that they have opened a plant in Rayong. Didn't know that Ford were one of those on that massive site. That should make a huge difference to the price of their models here as I think imported car tax is almost at the 100% mark on some models. The whole Rayong Industrial site had massive problems starting just before I left so hopefully all that has been sorted out now. I still remember my Lotus Cortina MK II with great fondness but I still think that Ford like many of its US counterparts did lose the plot and have still got a very long way to go to catch up which they may very well do. Good luck to them and I say the same to all to are going through harder times.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite