We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The end of UK Transit production

al's left peg

Likes # 0

Following fast on the heels of todays announcement Ford are to close their massive Genk factory in Belgium, speculation is that they will announce tomorrow the closure of the Southampton Transit plant. A massive ad campaign a few years ago stating: "Transit- the backbone of Britain" seems Ironic now as more jobs are lost due to this spineless government.

More hollow promises about helping the workers and we will do all we can, whilst still fiddling expenses, fiddling rent on taxpayer bought properties. How long before we become a third world country, because in my eyes we are certainly heading that way.

Like this post
N47.

Likes # 0

It is a great shame as the Transit was a great vehicle, why they had to change it to so many variants. Because industry is facing closures right , left and centre. It's no wonder that the need for new vans is on the decline, also when you think massive subsidy's go to foreign van manufacturers.

Jobs at Kimberley Clarke, in the UK, under major threat as the factories in Flint and humberside are to close. http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-20054040 http://www.thisisgrimsby.co.uk/Kimberly-Clark-s-boss-8211-direct-statement/story-17168011-detail/story.html

Rather strange when they may be a global shortage http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9577127/Global-nappy-shortage-fears-after-factory-explosion.html

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Ford are to close their massive Genk factory in Belgium"

Using your kind of logic that means more jobs lost because of the spineless Belgian government does it? Actually the reason is that Ford is going to lose a little south of $1 billion in Europe this year because the European market for new cars has shrunk considerably. The expected closure of the Southampton factory is due to the European market situation, not to the actions of a spineless government. The company has seen its European car sales plummet by more than 60,000 vehicles, and in Asia there's a similar situation - sales down by 20,000 vehicles - no doubt due to the spineless Asian governments.

I suggest you get real, and start to understand that companies like Ford (and General Motors, who are also in trouble with sales) make decisions for commercial reasons - in this case because EU recession has meant less new car sales. Ford isn't going to continue to manufacture vehicles it can't sell, regardless of what a country's government might do or not do.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

N47.

Kimberley Clarke has taken the decision to close factories because it has failed to make a profit on its European nappy sales. The company is quite understandably going to stop pouring money into a bottomless pit, and concentrate on the market sectors where it is strong.

I don't know whether the Japan explosion will affect that decision, but I would hazard a guess that it won't.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

By allowing so much foreign takeover of our industry (yes, I know it works both ways, with massive British investment abroad) we place ourselves at risk of these foreign companies retrenching into their original areas of operation in difficult times. These are, after all, the areas that originally gave them enough profit to expand abroad in the first place!

Their investment has been of enormous benefit to this country in most cases (forget Starbucks and the like), but they owe us no duty of care, and have no moral obligation to subsidise us by operating a loss.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does the demise of the blagger's trannie also mean the end of bank blagging?

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Ford has had a presence in the UK since it opened its first factory in Trafford Park in 1911

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"(forget Starbucks and the like)"

Well, not entirely perhaps. The company employs 8500 people in the UK, and there is certainly a benefit to our economy in that respect.

We have our own economic problems, but let's not forget that nowadays we are heavily influenced by changes in global economic situations. Foreign companies have financial challenges as well, and they will react to them, regardless of where on the planet the causes are, and there's nothing our government can do about it, other than creating artificial 'sticking plaster' tax structures. In the current economic climate that's out of the question, and there's not much extra the government can do to help the displaced workers in a financial sense either.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

When we were opening up new markets in the past it wasn't long before those new markets began insisting on 'local content' to provide some employment in that area. This often started with KD (knock down) kits that were assembled locally. It then progressed through the stage of some parts being manufactured locally until finally the whole vehicle was produced locally. This was as much on insistance, and also subsidies, from local governments, and you can't really blame them for looking after their own. Perhaps it will go full circle and we will be the the ones insisting on local content eventually.

Like this post
al's left peg

Likes # 0

In the 70's /80's Vickers pressings of Newcastle upon Tyne manufactured parts for the Transit. Earlier this year Vickers (now BAE Systems) announced that it was closing it's Scotswood Road plant due to a lack of orders in the book.

The reason being is our government awarded a contract to build amoured vehicles to an American company, instead of keeping their own public in jobs. I will as you say FE try to "get real" but it does not matter what slant you put on it, successive governments of this country have absolutely killed manufacturing in this country. I don't believe in giving subsidies to companies to keep them afloat as I think it's a false economy, but good lord how do you expect the company to get out of recession when skilled workers like those guys at Ford and Vickers on the whole will be left to fight for jobs filling shelves at their local supermarket. , The country and the apathy of the people who run it amaze me, but what saddens me is when people make comments like "get real" when they cannot see for themselves what a poor state the country is in.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It now appears (BBC Evening News) that this will see the end of Ford in the UK, though there is still development of a diesel engine.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more