We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Australian Politicians are better at "it" than ours are

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

Typical of politicians

No matter what side of the political fence you're on, THIS is FUNNY and VERY telling! It just all depends on how you look at the same things.

Judy Rudd, an amateur genealogy researcher in south east Queensland, was doing some personal work on her own family tree. She discovered that ex-Prime Minister Kevin Rudd's great-great uncle, Remus Rudd, was hanged for horse stealing and train robbery in Melbourne in 1889. Both Judy and Kevin Rudd share this common ancestor.

The only known photograph of Remus shows him standing on the gallows at the Melbourne Jail. (The photo did not copy and paste).

On the back of the picture Judy obtained during her research is this inscription: 'Remus Rudd horse thief, sent to Melbourne Jail 1885, escaped 1887, robbed the Melbourne-Geelong train six times. Caught by Victoria Police Force, convicted and hanged in 1889.'

So Judy recently e-mailed ex-Prime Minister Rudd for information about their great-great uncle, Remus Rudd.

Believe it or not, Kevin Rudd's staff sent back the following biographical sketch for her genealogy research:

"Remus Rudd was famous in Victoria during the mid to late 1800s. His business empire grew to include acquisition of valuable equestrian assets and intimate dealings with the Melbourne-Geelong Railroad..

Beginning in 1883, he devoted several years of his life to government service, finally taking leave to resume his dealings with the railroad.

In 1887, he was a key player in a vital investigation run by the Victoria Police Force. In 1889, Remus passed away during an important civic function held in his honour when the platform upon which he was standing collapsed."

NOW that's how it's done: that is real POLITICAL SPIN!

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

Love it!!!!!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"NOW that's how it's done: that is real POLITICAL SPIN!"

Except that it's a hoax.

The same story, with the names of the various people changed, has been circulating on the internet for years.

The condemned man shown in the gallows photograph, is Tom "Black Jack" Ketchum, a murderer and train robber who was hanged in Clayton, New Mexico in April 1901.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

Exposure in stereo.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Oh well. It just shows how gullible I am.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

The rule of thumb is, if you get a long supposedly true story by email, or posted on your Facebook wall do a quick search on Snopes before you repost it

Like this post  
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I wouldn't like to 'mess' with Prime Minister Julia Gillard ... her strong Aussie accent makes me 'run for cover' ....

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I quite fancy a Nigerian Princes widow. I am now waiting with baited breath for one of them to e-mail me.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Dear Bing.alu I am a nice Nigerian Princes widow and would like to ask you about sending you some money, if you could just give me your bank details first with a small lump of money to show me I can trust you.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

In view of "Oh well. It just shows how gullible I am" you can probably expect that "small lump of money" any day now.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Dear Nigerian Princess. First can you let me know how you would like me to forward a small lump of money to you. I will of course need your name and address and then you will receive in a plain brown envelope 200,000 Reich-marks, which I have been saving in a sweaty sock since 1944. You will of course need to pay the postage on delivery. I regret I do not have a bank account, but I have other lumps of savings in various places such as sewn inside my mattress. You can't trust the banks these days you know, they are run by foreigners.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today