We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has the SNP Bubble Burst?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

With two MSPs resigning the whip, and Big Eck accused of barefaced lying, and having to rush to the chamber, is it all beginning to unravel for the SNP?

If he loses one more he is no longer guaranteed an overall majority.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Independence is not going to happen in my lifetime, and maybe not in Alex Salmond's either.

I hope you're right. Assuming you are, what's the likely or favoured outcome for the Scottish people?

A close result would allow the Scots to wrestle more power from Westminster presumably and not let the matter rest?

An overwhelming rejection would put the matter to bed and no further concessions from Westminster?

I hesitate to think what the rest of the UK would wish for. The majority of the comments I've read have been negative towards the Scots probably because they are perceived to receive greater benefits for less contribution.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"A close result would allow the Scots to wrestle more power from Westminster presumably and not let the matter rest?"

The defeat, by whatever margin, will be the end of Salmond.

I seem to recall that in the past the SNP have said they will abide by the result for a generation.

However, with 16 year olds getting the franchise this might be shorter than the usual!

"An overwhelming rejection would put the matter to bed and no further concessions from Westminster?"

The matter will never be "put to bed". It is now there, and will stay there, niggling away for ever.

I would not be surprised to see some sort of move towards federalism, rather than union, in the next hundred years or so.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

"I would not be surprised to see some sort of move towards federalism, rather than union, in the next hundred years or so."

I agree with you; it seems to work in Germany, and the USA is a bit similar.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

People you met on the 22 day cruise are hardly a representative group of 'average' Scots - so might I counter your argument by saying that Aitchbee (who sounds very representative of Scots!) has already said he will be voting for independence. QED?..(;-)

If Aitchbee is is representative of average Scots, then God help the Scots!!! (only joking Aitch)

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Bing.alau: Unfortunately Aitchbee is very typical of the plebeian Scot. I'm willing to bet that Mel Gibson's portrayal of our National Hero is on his regular viewing list and that he views the film as an accurate portrayal of the times.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

One of my concerns is the aftermath of the vote, and, particularly, the attitude of the Westminster government towards the Scots. Given that it seems many south of the border feel Scotland has been getting too much (the 'free' education, prescriptions etc etc, rubbish)- what would prevent renewed formulae being developed to give them even less, as 'payback'?

Or will the 'No' campaign be offering hard guarantees?

I still think the fat lady hasn't even begun warming-up yet!!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Believe me (and I will be voting yes, mainly because I'm Welsh and have always been a nationalist), it is done and dusted.

Everything from now until the vote is just window dressing.

Like this post
Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I think we must disagree about it being 'all over'. "A week is a long time in politics" is the classic statement - two years is massive, and many things can swing voters in that time.

Keep telling Scots it's all over often enough and in my view the thrawn residents of this land may take exception to their votes being taken for granted (the only poll that matters is the referendum).

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

**spider9""

I hope you're right, but I fear it is a forlorn hope.

Unlike most elections, there are very few "undecideds" to be swung, views already being very polarised, and likely to become more so.

This is not about politics in the normal sense, where any result is reversed in time.

A "Yes" vote is for all time.

You should also not discount incomers and other immigrants of whom there are very many, most of them, unlike me, not voting in favour.

(This leads to a peculiar situation at home, where my wife, who is a Scot, is against!)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback