We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Has the SNP Bubble Burst?

morddwyd

Likes # 0

With two MSPs resigning the whip, and Big Eck accused of barefaced lying, and having to rush to the chamber, is it all beginning to unravel for the SNP?

If he loses one more he is no longer guaranteed an overall majority.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Up until a few weeks ago I regularly watched the Scottish Parliament debates on Freeview and I wouldn't exactly support your views on wriggling, despite that being a wide definition.

What I have seen is good debate well controlled by a lady speaker and very little shouting and bawling like in the HoC. I think a lot could be learned by our politicians from watching a civilised chamber at work.

Like this post
Shopgirl

Likes # 0

I dont trust Alex Salmond. Scotland would be better staying part of Britain. Hopefully the slip up will convince people that we are better staying as we are.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Up until a few weeks ago "

Not talking about a few weeks ago, but a few hours, or a day ago.

General consensus among correspondents is that he improved his performance slightly today, but is still floundering somewhat.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

The £4K was the Lunch Bill!

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"does anyone believe £4k? "

Of course. Do you really think that our politicians would try to mislead us?!

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

Having read the above comments, I thought I would put in my halfpenny worth! I am a Scot, and proud of it, and my family was moved down to England in 1951. I married my wife, also a Scot who came down in 1953, in 1972.

Recently we went on a 22 day cruise to celebrate our 40th anniversary and we met many Scots on the ship and all were universally against independence. One of the first couples we met returned to Scotland a few years ago, the wife having emigrated to Canada when she was 25 and stayed there for 37 years. She stated that they were emigrating to England in 2014 if 'Wee Eck' wins. As I hadn't heard of 'Wee Eck' I was amused to find out to whom she was referring. [ I must say that in my personal opinion his deputy is far worse than he is! ] I then stated that I hoped Scotland would get Indendence, because they would be back with their tails between their legs in 5 to 10 years asking for admission to whatever Engand, Wales and, maybe, Northern Ireland were calling themselves. At that point the wife surprised me very considerably by saying she thought it would take only 2 years. All the other Scots living in Scotland thought much along the same lines. They were all adamant that in any election they were going to vote 'NO'. So what puzzles me now is this: Where are all these Scots who are in favour of Independence?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Housten *" Where are all these Scots who are in favour of Independence?"*

At the moment that is an unknown, we will only know in 2014 when an actual vote happens.

Whoever would have thought the SNP would end up with an overall majority in Holyrood, a year before that election (let alone two years before!), and their manifesto centred around an independence vote - so why did a majority of Scots vote for them, then? But they did!!

Perhaps when there are far more details it may become clear how to vote - certainly that's how I intend to proceed - as I am open to be convinced one way or the other (as it should be in any election).

People you met on the 22 day cruise are hardly a representative group of 'average' Scots - so might I counter your argument by saying that Aitchbee (who sounds very representative of Scots!) has already said he will be voting for independence. QED?..(;-)

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Latest poll (today) still shows only 30% in favour, which figure has remained fairly constant for some years despite all the rhetoric and electioneering.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

fourm member

Yes, I did make an error, statistically when I used the phrase 'majority of Scots'.

My meaning was to point out that the SNP were given a clear electoral victory, something never expected in the year, or two, preceding that election. What is to say there might be another big swing in the next two years?

You point out that the SNP only got 45.4% of the vote - when did the Tories, or Labour ever reach those heights in a General election?

You may quote your percentages, and polls, but only the referendum in two years will have any meaning.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Although I make no secret of the fact that I am diametrically opposed to fourm member on independence (and one or two other issues!), on this occasion I am in full agreement with him.

The last Holyrood vote was like a mid-term bye election vote at Westminster - it was a protest against the sitting government, but in this case also against an inept opposition, particularly the Westminster and Holyrood leaders.

As I said earlier, apart from a few percentage points either way following party conferences and the like, the 30% in favour has not changed for years.

Independence is not going to happen in my lifetime, and maybe not in Alex Salmond's either.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad