We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Another Kindle Query, Link with car's System?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

As I am thinking of buying a couple of audible books, I wondered if it is possible to link the Kindle with the car's system by Bluetooth. Or will I need to have an earpiece sticking in my lughole? As I already wear a deaf aid in my right one I don't fancy driving with my hearing impeded any more than it already is. I know there are speakers on the Kindle itself but doubt that they will be loud enough.

Also of course any advice on boos to listen to etc.?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

For "boos" read "books" as i obviously did not read my own post properly.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

There's no bluetooth on a Kindle.

Does your car stereo have a line in? You could use that

Like this post  
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

alan14. I am not sure because I have never looked. I will do so tomorrow of course. By the way I have just downloaded an upgrade on my Kindle but haven't yet read all the guff it seems to contain. I'm off to bed shortly so I will have a little something else to read about. Maybe it is going to do colour photo's in future!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Audio books will probably be a bit tinny on the kindle, probably better to get them on CD or as MP3 and burn to CD, if your Car will play MP3s.

try borrowing from the library first.

What to listen to depends on your literary taste -

Detective with a historical twist? Lindsay Davis = Falco novels a Roman detective

Fantasy + comedy = Terry Pratchett Discworld Novels

I have listened to the whole of both series while driving around France and the UK.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Does your phone have bluetooth and MP3 playing capability? It should unless it's an old bakelite one:) If your new car does bluetooth, that will work nicely and give a really rich reading voice through the car speakers. If you do have an old bakelite phone, you may have to press button B (that switches the bluetooth on), but you'll get a very distant echo sound...

A phone is much easier to carry in your pocket when out of the car to carry on listening in M&S while shopping for braces. I use a single bluetooth earpiece, the sort for taking calls, to listen to audio books while walking the dog. That also allows me to hear what's happening in my surroundings as you don't need stereo to listen to a book.

I use the Amazon Audible site for newish books, Librivox for free out of copyright books, and the local library for borrowed CDs that I rip to MP3.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Audible files don't work with all MP3 players and phones, they're DRM protected, so need compatible software to play the files.

Most can be burnt to CD as standard audio files, so normally 8 - 12 CDs per book

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Quickbeam. Sounds like a good place to start to me. My phone does have Bluetooth but I am presently negotiating for an upgrade to it.

Shopping for braces in M & S? No chance. Too up market for me, if Aldi don't have them I won't buy anywhere else. Seriously though I have just ordered a pair on the internet, of the type that clip on to your belt instead of the trouser waist. Should be arriving today.. If they are as good as they say they are I shall be getting another pair. I find I am now doing most of my shopping on the internet, traipsing around places like Marks and sparks fills me with dread.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Audible files will play on Android and iPhones with the Audible app. And some bluetooth mp3 players are made with Audible file compatibility that will play into a car system. The files have to be downloaded via the Audible PC software to authorise the licence to play on the compatible MP3 player.

Most of the Creative ZEN range will do that, but the price is high enough to consider upgrading your phone rather than buying one of them.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Smart AudioBook Player works great on Android for mp3 books allowing multiple book marking and multiple books to be listened to without loosing your place and is free.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

10 iPhone app exclusives that make Android users jealous