We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Licence Fee

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Some years ago I took part in "Any Questions". I asked if the BBC Licence Fee was past its sell-by date? Gerald Kaufman was on the Team and I well knew his antipathy to the Licence Fee.

His arguments did not convince me and, in the past, I always trusted the good old BBC. During World Wide travels the BBC World Service always provide a reliable update of world events with little UK slant.

As the years have passed I have come to look upon the BBC less favourably, exorbitanttant salaries, expenses and perks together with variable programming has made me think that it is time for a change.

If a cost reduced BBC was paid for by general taxation the poorer people would save money and the expense added to the richer people, even the Oldies like me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"not many seem to pick up on niggling little points of pedantry"

I think you'll find that I pick up on points of fact. As for pedantry, a single wrong word can alter the entire meaning of a sentence, and in a written debating situation all other people have to go on are the words you write.

Everyone makes mistakes, there's no shame in it, but what is irritating is when someone is challenged on a fact and they try to pretend that they didn't say what is there for all to see. A simple admission of error is far better, and soon forgotten.

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

I'm all for a license fee as long as it keeps those irritating adverts away from at least four channels.

Now Patten is in charge things should improve as to how financial waste is managed. He's taken a pay cut from the bloated salary his predecessor used to enjoy and hopefully he'll kick out a lot of grey suits on inflated pay checks too.

Unfortunately for him he's got to try and sort out the huge Saville mess and try and reinstigate the trust most held in 'Aunty'. It could take a long time and if lots of heads will roll as the investigations unfold we may well see the BBC change beyond recognition. That would be a great shame.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Now Patten is in charge things should improve as to how financial waste is managed. He's taken a pay cut from the bloated salary his predecessor used to enjoy and hopefully he'll kick out a lot of grey suits on inflated pay checks too."

I believe that Chris Patten is part of the problem, rather than being the solution - as is George Entwhistle, the ineffective, bumbling 'suit' who Chris Patten hailed as a man with the 'clear vision' the BBC needed for the future.

Both men should stand down and make way for people who know the business, and have the qualities of leadership both jobs demand.

Chris Patten is a nice, decent, cultured individual with a considerable experience of political leadership. I know people who knew him personally when he was Governor of Hong Kong, and they say he was superb in the role.

Unfortunately he doesn't have a clue when it comes to broadcasting, and he shows signs of being overwhelmed by the elitist culture at the top of the BBC - he seems to spend his time being an apologist for BBC shortcomings. he should do the decent thing at the earliest opportunity, preferably joined by George Entwhistle, whose pathetic performance in front of the Commons culture select committee confirmed that he isn't fit for purpose.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

What is going to happen if it is discovered that other influential presenters were playing the same games as Jimmy Saville? It would knock dear old "Aunty" for six I suppose.

I no longer pay toward the licence fee, but I feel that when I was paying it a big lump of it went toward keeping Mr Saville in a life of luxury. I am not happy about that and if there are more slugs and weevils under the roof of Broadcasting House I am going to feel even more angry.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I think your post expresses a view that is shared by an awful lot of people.

That said, I believe we need to be careful to avoid falling into the trap of thinking that because one aspect of BBC management failed it means the whole corporation is rotten. Most (but not all) of the incidents that have emerged took place a long time ago, and it's very difficult for us to understand how different the culture in the industry was at that time. It doesn't mean that Savile's abuses of young people were any less of a crime, and it doesn't exonerate the people who turned a blind eye.

What it does, this knowledge of a different culture, is perhaps make it easier to understand what motivated those who kept quiet when Savile was an influential and popular TV and radio character, for fear of risking their jobs and their reputations.

We're seeing it all with the benefit of hindsight, but I know someone who was working in the pop music industry at the time, and she says 'things were very different in those days'.

Like this post
amonra

Likes # 0

I wish all the people who constantly criticise the BBC and call for its abolishment could go on a short trip around the world and compare the standards of broadcasting in most of the countries. I admit, the BBC has its faults, its leadership leaves a lot to be desired, but on the whole the quality and variety of its programs are FAR superior to the rubbish that is broadcast anywhere else. I have been fortunate enough to view most of the offerings in europe and north america from the technical aspect and I am constantly amazed as to how people can watch such poor quality endless dribble constantly interupted by mindless advertising. Please, please, think twice before condemning this organisation to the waste-bin. You wont know how good it is till its gone ! Rant over.

Like this post
heymin

Likes # 0

Hi, I'd like to echo the sentiments expressed by amonra. My regional radio station, radio 4 and the T.V. news channel alone are worth the £3 per week. Everything else is a bonus (well, many things at least).

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

So what now for the BBC do they still build and sell B/W tv sets

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

As someone who does roam the world I know only too well the various levels of TV programs many have to put up with. Most of the service packages here in Thailand now do not provide a BBC service and the main reason as I understand it was that most of what they showed on the news was US stuff, a comment I entirely agree with. I used to sit down to watch the BBC news and yet you never actually got any UK news.

Al Jazerrra (Excuse my spelling if it's wrong) provides a much better range of news and channel providers now seem to have gone with them which is a telling indictment. Same story in Vietnam and Laos.

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

I see that the Good Old BBC is not what it is cracked up to be. Fred Karno's Army is brought to mind.

All those highly paid bureaucrats and not one of them asked the most basic question before blundering on air.

Dare I suggest a bit of political bias - surely not at the BBC.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 will be a free update

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Photoshop for Chromebook: a full version of Adobe's art & photography software will be streamed to...

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK