We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Licence Fee

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Some years ago I took part in "Any Questions". I asked if the BBC Licence Fee was past its sell-by date? Gerald Kaufman was on the Team and I well knew his antipathy to the Licence Fee.

His arguments did not convince me and, in the past, I always trusted the good old BBC. During World Wide travels the BBC World Service always provide a reliable update of world events with little UK slant.

As the years have passed I have come to look upon the BBC less favourably, exorbitanttant salaries, expenses and perks together with variable programming has made me think that it is time for a change.

If a cost reduced BBC was paid for by general taxation the poorer people would save money and the expense added to the richer people, even the Oldies like me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

I don't really have the time for another of your wriggling sessions, so I'll leave you with it.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

robgf

The BBC is a public service broadcaster. It's unique, and has been the envy of the broadcasting world for a long time, partly because it doesn't have to court advertisers to stay alive.

Last year (2011) was a record year for the BBC in terms of selling programmes to other countries. The corporation sold 74,000 hours of high-quality UK programming to over 690 customers from the USA to Kazakhstan to Indonesia. Those countries take BBC output because their own programming can't compare - David Attenborough has consistently been the top-selling TV presenter in the world.

There are all kinds of problems at the BBC - that's been the case since the day the corporation started, but to dismiss it as being 'on borrowed time' is to completely misunderstand its status as a quality broadcaster, both here and abroad.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The BBC costs me around 40p per day, which I consider a bargain.

I'm sure with a lot of pain they could cut costs and reduce the figure to nearer 36p.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I would have thought that by selling the programs it makes to other countries it must be making a tidy profit. Who gets any profit if they do make it? I suppose the answer to that is the government!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

[ its status as a quality broadcaster, both here and abroad.]

There is no denying that but even great company's have gone bankrupt or put out of business.

Not the BBC they just increase the Licence fee.

The common person on the street no longer want to pay the price and would prefer not to pay for a licence.

Why do they not make TV's without BBC on them.It doesn't matter you still have to pay for the licence to use the signal is the answer you get.How much does it really cost to send a signal.

Robbery without violence springs to mind.

It maybe not be on borrowed time but maybe level the playing field and make them advertise for funds the same as the rest of the TV companies have to do.

You loose BBC and all it's TV and radio stations and there will be others queuing up to take their place they are not indispencable.

Those are my views and I would not for a minute think that I would stand alone with my thoughts.

Of course you will get some that prefer the BBC the way it is and they love the programs but if shove came to push I would think that the majority would prefer a no license fee BBC.

You still get all of your programs but you do not need to pay to watch them.

You may have to suffer the adverts but I am sure that we are all used to them by now.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

Can I pay another 40p per day and eliminate the adverts on the commercial stations please?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

fourm member

Hi thanks for that.

If we could see where the poll was taken and how many voted may come in handy.

The problem is we have to pay for all of those services,

But we would not need to pay for a license if the BBC was the same as the others and used advertising instead.

I found this on another Forum but not sure if it is rubbish or not,But maybe thinking about it maybe he could be correct.

[Under EU rules it is illegal what the BBC is doing. They cannot fine you for not having a licence. Google Government pages.]

There are some crazy EU rules and it would not surprise me if the comments were correct.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Jock1e

"Not the BBC they just increase the Licence fee."

No they don't, because they can't do that without the consent of parliament.

"But we would not need to pay for a license if the BBC was the same as the others and used advertising instead."

No, we wouldn't, but neither would we get any of the minority programming which the BBC is obliged to provide under the terms of the Royal charter. What we would get is a constant diet of low-grade reality TV and other stuff that is cheap to make - opium for the masses. Advertisers would have to spread their budgets even more thinly, and we would lose the quality TV that other countries envy so much.

"Under EU rules it is illegal what the BBC is doing. They cannot fine you for not having a licence."

That's complete rubbish - there is an act of parliament that governs what the BBC can and cannot do with regard to licence fee evasion.

If you're going to rant about something you might at least make the effort to do a bit of research first, and get some of the facts right.

Like this post
Sweet-Tea

Likes # 0

The BBC Licence fee should be scrapped. The government should find other ways of funding. The whole thing needs a huge revamp~ revenue and programming!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Forum Editor

About having to go to the Government for a price increase.I assumed everyone new that.

Not exactly what I would call a rant.

Did I miss something.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do