We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

BBC Licence Fee

flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Some years ago I took part in "Any Questions". I asked if the BBC Licence Fee was past its sell-by date? Gerald Kaufman was on the Team and I well knew his antipathy to the Licence Fee.

His arguments did not convince me and, in the past, I always trusted the good old BBC. During World Wide travels the BBC World Service always provide a reliable update of world events with little UK slant.

As the years have passed I have come to look upon the BBC less favourably, exorbitanttant salaries, expenses and perks together with variable programming has made me think that it is time for a change.

If a cost reduced BBC was paid for by general taxation the poorer people would save money and the expense added to the richer people, even the Oldies like me.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

As the years have passed I have come to look upon the BBC less favourably, exorbitant salaries, expenses and perks together with variable programming has made me think that it is time for a change.

How would a transfer of the BBC's costs from licence fee to general taxation improve the things you're not happy with?

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

Meant to add. I had a lot of time for Gerald Kaufman - he was the Minister who persuaded the States to accept Concorde. I mentioned this point to him and he admitted that it was the best thing that he ever did!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Your licence fee may rise soon to cover all the compensation claims that will be coming in over the latest BBC scandal. :0(

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

It is not the BBC licence fee, but a government fee (tax); it just so happens that the government uses that money to fund the BBC.

The licence fee also funds S4C (Oh, didn't you know that you are funding a Welsh language channel?), and the government can withdraw that funding from either, or both, channels at any time

Like this post
flycatcher1

Likes # 0

oresome There would be much more money for programming if bureaucracy, bloated pay and perks were reduced and money saved by not having to collect the Licence fee or pursue non payers.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"If a cost reduced BBC was paid for by general taxation the poorer people would save money and the expense added to the richer people, even the Oldies like me."

Why should having more money than someone else mean that you have to pay more to watch TV, and why do you think that adding the licence fee to income tax would mean "money saved by not having to collect the Licence fee or pursue non payers."? You would still have to pursue non-payers, and you would immediately reduce the amount available, not increase it - lots of people are (quite legally) not tax payers. Your system would mean that they would become non-licence-payers as well.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"It is not the BBC licence fee, but a government fee (tax); it just so happens that the government uses that money to fund the BBC."

the government doesn't use the money at all, because it doesn't see it - you pay your licence fee direct to the BBC. Under the terms of the Communications Act 2003 the BBC (and only the BBC) is the public authority responsible for collecting the fee and issuing the licence, although the cost of the licence must be approved by parliament.

"The licence fee also funds S4C"

No it doesn't - at least not yet. SC4 gets part of its funding from TV advertising, and the rest (about £90 million in 2011) comes from a fixed annual grant direct from the government. The BBC provides some Welsh language programming free of charge, as part of its public service remit.

That is set to change as the government is transferring funding responsibility to the BBC, and by 2015 the government will have reduced its grant by 94%. By then the BBC is to provide £74 million. The decision to do this has been challenged by the Welsh language society - they don't want the funding to be provided by the BBC.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

In one line you say the licence fee doesn't fund S4C, and then you go on to say that the BBC provides some programming.

Since the BBC is funded by the licence fee, and only by the licence fee, it is difficult to see how they can provide this programming without using funding from the licence fee.

However, I have just realised that I no longer pay for my licence, so this is none of my business, and I withdraw my comment!

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I think you'll find the licence fee is to recieve the signal,so even if you don' like or watch BBc you still need a licence to recieve live broadcasts via any medium.

Like this post
robgf

Likes # 0

Why not scrap the licence fee altogether and let the BBC sink, or swim on its own merits, raising revenue from advertising.

Why it gets special treatment is beyond me. The content is only poor, to average. There is the occasional good program, but you can say that about any channel. And the BBC is only one minor, rather staid channel amongst many more entertaining channels nowadays.

I suspect the BBC is on borrowed time, as the old timers die off and the youngsters who have never known it to be a quality broadcaster, will question why it gets special treatment.

I used to watch the news on the BBC, for unbiased reports. But standards fell markedly and it changed to a chat show format. Now I usually watch Sky news, which gives more information.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Why BlackBerry isn't dead: Firm keeps Mercedes F1 team driving with enterprise package

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...