We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Wounded robot

wiz-king
Resolved

Likes # 0

Poor thing got shot - report from The Register

Hero police robot back on duty after 'unstable man' blasts it with shotgun

Tin cop 'did its job', laughs off leaden hail from 12-bore An heroic police robot has returned to duty with a Nebraska force after being put out of action by an "unstable man" who blasted it repeatedly with a 12-bore* shotgun at point blank range during a tense siege this summer.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Bing.alau you can get a lot of Asimov's books (and others) for free from Project Gutenberg, all are copyright free.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE - must have been subliminal advertising [on behalf of Walt Disney] ;o]

Like this post
cycoze

Likes # 0

Had to chuckle when I read it had received an honorary purple heart!

Blackhat the robot is a ARA Pointman Tactical Robot

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Sorry folks but I have never been in to reading SF. The films do nothing for me either, but I don't doubt for a minute that it is all fascinating stuff. It is too late for me to develop another interest now. There's not enough hours in the day as it is.

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Fe.

It would be almost impossible for me to give a best recommendation for an Asimov Sci Fi first read as I have read them all and they will appeal to different tastes.

When you recommend the Foundation series be aware that his original ‘trilogy’ has now become a series of 7. In his later years he went back to the trilogy to finish off some loose ends and added Prelude to Foundation & Forward the Foundation pre trilogy followed by Foundations Edge & Foundation and Earth.

Asimov very cleverly uses the robot character of Daneel Olivar in the new foundation books who first appears in his earlier detective stories featuring Lije Baley. Trying these out first would probably make the reading of the Foundation series more enjoyable as this character spans over 20,000 years of our galaxies future history.

They are, Caves of Steel, Naked Sun, Robots of Dawn & Robots and Empire in chronological order.

If anyone is unfamiliar with Isaac Asimov you might recall the Robin Williams film Bicentennial Man about a robot that wants human rights, taken originally from a short story that appears in the Complete Robot mentioned by FE.

The only other film based on the works of Asimov is I Robot. Not too many are aware that there never was a book along the lines of the film, the films story is made up from the combination of 9 short stories first published in the 1950’s in Sci Fi magazines and then as a compilation book in 1967.

These 9 short stories are also contained in The Complete Robot.

Personally I enjoy more his science fact and history books, his writing style is one that allows you to absorb information (often quite complex) in relaxing way.

I will end there as I could go on about Asimov for ever but please post if you want to know more. There is always loads on the internet but I have 1st hand experience of most of his work.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

I thought robot came from a Czech word, used in that old black and white sci-fi movie, Metropolis, or did Mr Asimov add the 'ic' suffix?

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

Picklefactory

In 1920 Czech writer Karel Capek was the first to use the word robot in his play Rossums Universal Robots. He first wanted to use the word Labori from the latin Labor but his brother suggested Roboti from the Czech word robota meaning Serf labour.

It was indeed Asimov who coined the word Robotics.

Like this post
Picklefactory

Likes # 0

Blackhat

Ta

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Personally I enjoy more his science fact and history books, his writing style is one that allows you to absorb information (often quite complex) in relaxing way."

I agree completely. In fact, Asimov did most of his SF writing at the beginning and the end of his writing life - in between he largely wrote the factual books you describe.

We spent many hours of our student lives debating one of his statements - usually with the help of a glass or five:

“I prefer rationalism to atheism. The question of God and other objects-of-faith are outside reason and play no part in rationalism, thus you don’t have to waste your time in either attacking or defending“

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Another famous Sci-Fi fiction writer Stanislaw Lem wrote:-

The bookstore resembled, instead, an electronic laboratory. The books were crystals with recorded contents. They can be read with the aid of an opton, which was similar to a book but had only one page between the covers. At a touch, successive pages of the text appeared on it. But optons were little used, the sales-robot told me.

...from " Return From The Stars " published in 1961.

( ... sometimes cited as the first published appearance of the idea of digital paper ... )

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features