We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Farewell to CEEFAX

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

CEEFAX has been broadcast for the last time.

Take a stroll down memory lane

I can recall thinking that CEEFAX was an astonishing display of cutting edge technology when I first saw it - and it was. How things have moved on.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

I can remember when Space Invaders and Asteroids was cutting edge pub gaming!

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

I remember they used to put BBC Micro programs on Ceefax, pages 800 onwards I think.

We had a tuner card on one of the computers at school, and would download the program off Ceefax, save it to tape and load it on other computers in the class.

I also remember Chris Sievey (aka Frank Sidebottom) used to put ZX Spectrum programs on the b-sides of his singles. Used to get a big shock if you played the wrong side of the record through your speakers

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Just found the piece of kit needed to download the Telesoftware off Ceefax

http://www.retro-kit.co.uk/page.cfm/content/Acorn-Teletext-Adapter/

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

AS i recall, the instant update of printed news heralded the end of the newspaper, or so we were told at the time!

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

oh well bye bye ceefax it was good to have it spealily if you wanted a good read

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I used to use ceefax (mon-fri) to check the ups & downs of my BT shares...redtext bad...yellowtext good! [Ah...those were the days!] The up-to-date greyhound results and latest betting (especially during the summer months, when evening horse racing was not covered by the bookies, because they closed at 5pm then in the 1980's) was also a 'boon'.

alan14 - Nice link to the Acorn gadget (I've still got the Amigatext version.)

...but I cannot fathom out why the 14 minute ceefax 'YouTube' 'simple video'[with no sound] should require a 50 mb download on my little BB dongle? ('bout 40p in money terms).

That's progress!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

fourm member

One for the archive. Thanks.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I'd almost forgotten Oracle.

Not only was that outlasted by Ceefax, but so was the cutting edge ITV text, apart from adverts.

Like this post
the.hick

Likes # 0

There was also Prestel, although I cannot recall ever using it. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prestel

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I seem to recall that Prestel was expensive to use when other services were free, and it tended to be used a lot by finance houses and travel companies.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features