We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fluid Intake

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Do you drink enough (not alcohol)?

I have already made an early New Year Resolution to up my fluid intake.

Yesterday early afternoon I was feeling decidedly seedy, and I realised that I had had nothing to drink since my early mowing tea, one cup, at about 7.00.

Nothing with breakfast, nothing mid-morning, nothing with lunch, and yet I didn’t feel thirsty, despite having ham for lunch.

When I remembered all the stories about dehydrated older people, I was quite chastened, and even if I hadn’t been my wife, who had no idea until I told her, made sure that I was!

So it’s now forget about feeling thirsty, and make it a deliberate routine.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

They hospital tells you to drink a lot of water every day.That's ok if you like water I don't.

No problem drinking coffee which I suppose is not that good for you,But better than nothing I suppose.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Jock1e

Caffeine is a diuretic, so probably not an idea to just drink coffee. Tea is good, try one of the naturally caffeine free teas like Rooibos, it took a little getting used to but I have 4 big mugs a day whilst at work...

Like this post
SimpleSimon1

Likes # 0

My father suffers from gout and has kindly passed it on to me. If I drink around 2 liters of water per day, I'm fine. If I get distracted and drink less than 0.5 liters per day (especially if it's hot), after a few days, I'll start to feel the twinge in my big toe. If I don't quickly increase my water consumption, I'll then have the 'pleasure' of a full-blown gout attack.

My father drinks very little water and loads of tea and coffee....he then wonders why he gets attacks far more often than I do!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Fluid intake and water intake are different. It is recommended that everyone should have at least a glass or two of water everyday and not simply rely on tea or coffee or anything else.

Tap water is absolutely fine and there is no need to buy expensive bottled waters although that is not the case where I am presently living. I have to pay about 2pence a litre for acceptable drinking water which is no hardship.

It has been known for some older people to limit their water intake because of bladder problems but this is wrong as it tends only to make matters worse.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I was recently in hospital, and noticed that each morning someone put a full jug of fresh water on my bedside table. Each evening it was removed and replaced. I asked why, and was told - by the ward sister - that is was done like that so they could see how much I was drinking each day.

I asked for more information, and was told that in the UK climate we all lose an average of 2.5 litres of water each day, and that needs to be replaced in order to avoid dehydration. We don't have to drink that amount because we get around 1 litre from the food we eat, and our bodies recover about 0.3 of a litre from our cells - we need to drink approximately 1.2 litres of fluids a day to stay healthy.

A lot depends on what you're doing, but that's the average.

For a day or so after my operation I was in a lot of pain, and I started to feel dizzy. When I told the visiting doctor she looked at my chart and said 'drink two glasses of water right now'. I did, and the dizziness was gone in ten minutes. I had been slightly dehydrated.

The habit some people have of guzzling mineral water all day long is unnecessary, and in extreme cases is harmful. It's a fashion fad that has obsessed large numbers of people, and filled the coffers of the mineral water companies.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

I drink lots of coffee every day, I went off tea when they started making from tea dust in little bags. I could possibly go back to drinking tea, but it would have to be from proper tea leaves, I know it would take some time to get used to it again so I can't be bothered.

I also take a tablet (Furosimide) every morning to rid me of excess fluids. This is because of swelling of the ankles and lower legs, which is common at my age. I take the tablet as soon as I get up and then go to the toilet every twenty minutes or half hour for about two to three hours. Of course if I am going out during that period I don't take that tablet. There are not enough conveniences around these days.

One of the reasons I prefer rum to beer is because of the difference in the amount of liquid involved. But I am not really a heavy rum drinker although I do like a little session occasionally.

I sometimes drink coke or other mineral type drinks but only drink water if I am in the tropics and know how essential it is. When I was a child I only ever drank water because that is all there was, I don't think I tasted tea until I was about fourteen years old. I think I am getting enough liquid even if it is not in the shape of plain water.

I don't think I could go more than a couple of hours without having a drink of some sort of liquid, so to go all day would certainly make me very irritable. Nobody can live without water and rationing your body has got to be a bad idea. Even when I am getting rid of my liquid at one end every morning, I am topping it up at the other.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Don't get me wrong.

I am not about to start drinking copious amounts of water, and I have never bought a bottle of water in my life!

I just mean to ensure that I have a drink with each meal, and mid morning/afternoon (which I have been doing all my life, but for some reason have got out of the habit).

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Like you, I've sometimes found that it has been several hours since I had any refreshment."

and because my normal routine has been wrecked by my need to convalesce I am experiencing the same thing. I'm sitting at the keyboard for longer periods, and my wife has to constantly remind me to stop for a drink.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

fourm member

From my own research I conclude that I need to go to the gents more often when drinking coffee than naturally caffeine free Rooibos tea, so something in the coffee is a diuretic...

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

I thought I might try a little research on this coffee diuretic subject and found a couple of usefull links. I occasionally drink tea but cannot stand even the smell of coffee, only tried to drink it twice in 50 years

controled test

Dr Sugars answer

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Top 5 Android tips and tricks for smartphones and tablets

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

BBC using Glasgow 2014 Commonwealth Games to trial 4K/UHD, pan-around video, augmented video and...