We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fluid Intake

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Do you drink enough (not alcohol)?

I have already made an early New Year Resolution to up my fluid intake.

Yesterday early afternoon I was feeling decidedly seedy, and I realised that I had had nothing to drink since my early mowing tea, one cup, at about 7.00.

Nothing with breakfast, nothing mid-morning, nothing with lunch, and yet I didn’t feel thirsty, despite having ham for lunch.

When I remembered all the stories about dehydrated older people, I was quite chastened, and even if I hadn’t been my wife, who had no idea until I told her, made sure that I was!

So it’s now forget about feeling thirsty, and make it a deliberate routine.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Some memory loss with age is almost universal. I am sure that we all worry about the possibility of dementia as we begin to notice that loss. Vascular dementia can be treated and I believe that the progress of Alzheimer's can be slowed with medication if diagnosed early.

I sincerely hope that neither of these is about to inflict you. There is one simple test that you can subject yourself to to give an indication of dementia. You have one minute in which to think of as many words as possible beginning with the same letter. You can't select the letter yourself so I am dipping into my scrabble bag and will draw out your letter. Ok, it is "Z". Your one minute starts now. Good luck.

Like this post
natdoor

Likes # 0

OK. Time is more than up. If you managed 16 to 20 words then that is fine. Of course, it's more difficult with Z although X actually was drawn so I rotated a couple of arms widershins to get Z and make it a bit easier. Try again with "G".

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd have you ever watched ...

...the 1973 "Columbo" episode "Double Exposure," in which Robert Culp (the bad guy) sets up someone for murder by placing subliminal images of beverages in a desert scene in an advertising film that he has created for his audience. When the "thirsty guy," portrayed by Robert Middleton, has to leave for a drink of water (to add to the thirst problem, Culp had been feeding him salty caviar), Culp is there waiting for him. Columbo, later sets up Culp by doing the same thing, by placing subliminal images in a film that Culp is watching. Columbo has placed images of detectives snooping around the room where the suspected murder weapon was. Culp then has to leave to see if it still there ... then he's nicked!

It's the best Columbo episode ever. [mouth-wateringly worth a look].

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Aitchbee "mouth-wateringly worth a look"

But now you've told us the ending (and totally unusual, him getting 'nicked', who would ever have believed that?) - so you've spoiled the suspense!!

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

spider9 - you're right, I need a glass of water. LOL!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback