We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fluid Intake

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Do you drink enough (not alcohol)?

I have already made an early New Year Resolution to up my fluid intake.

Yesterday early afternoon I was feeling decidedly seedy, and I realised that I had had nothing to drink since my early mowing tea, one cup, at about 7.00.

Nothing with breakfast, nothing mid-morning, nothing with lunch, and yet I didn’t feel thirsty, despite having ham for lunch.

When I remembered all the stories about dehydrated older people, I was quite chastened, and even if I hadn’t been my wife, who had no idea until I told her, made sure that I was!

So it’s now forget about feeling thirsty, and make it a deliberate routine.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Well my New Year Resolution didn't last long.

Going into the kitchen late this afternoon I found a pot of tea from breakfast which had only had one cup taken from it, and a stone cold full mug of strong black coffee which I had made about 10.30 and forgotten to drink.

Once again I had been on the go for around nine hours with just one cup of fluid.

Poor old kidneys must be wondering what to do with all their spare time!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Poor old kidneys must be wondering what to do with all their spare time!"

That's if they're capable of wondering at all, with that low level of hydration. Time to reflect,perhaps,on the very real need to change?

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

What i find fascinating about the food/drink debate is that it appears to be that matabolism has a major impact,i know people,one in particular,who drank like fish,beers mainly and never put on a 'beer belly' and those who ate like a garbage wagon junk food included but could never put weight on and it was not the case that they trained any day never mind every so few.

In the case of water,i cannot drink our tap water in west London but when in France near Puy Dome tap water is lovely, the volcano may have an affect and i find that i can shave better in France than here due to the water.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

Yes, to be serious, I think so.

It cannot be healthy, certainly not in the long term anyway.

Some sort of reminder, like a pill reminder, perhaps.

Sad that I have come to such a pass though.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

morddwyd

"Sad that I have come to such a pass though."

Not really, it's life being life. As you age the relationship between your thirst and your need for fluid changes, and you can risk dehydration. Strangely, as you enter old age the less water you drink the less thirsty you become, and that's where the danger lies - serious dehydration can occur without you realising that it's happening. Even a 2% drop in hydration can trigger problems with concentration, short term memory difficulties, and a general loss of focus. This results in even less ability to remember to drink, and a vicious circle is created.

To stay healthy your kidneys need to excrete at least 10 fluid ounces of water every day. If they can't do that they will fail to deal with the toxins that normal body processes create; you'll suffer from kidney stones, loss of muscle, constipation, and a slowed metabolism. The worst case scenario is renal failure, as your kidneys fight to get enough water to expel toxins.

I hope I've scared you enough to realise how important it is that you stay hydrated, and if you find that you are quite literally forgetting to drink you should consider a way to remind yourself, as you suggested.

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

I can't do without drinking. I always take a large glass of water to bed and have a slurp during the night, and finish it up when I sit up to get out of bed in the morning. I then make mug of coffee. I have another mug when my wife gets up and yet another at about midday. A mug of tea after lunch and another after Dinner. All these interspersed with water as and when I feel the need.

My wife is just the opposite, she'd go all day without a drink if I didn't make her's at the same time I make mine, and even then she often forgets its there and has to reheat it in the microwave. She says she just doesn't feel thirsty.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"if you find that you are quite literally forgetting to drink "

And that is it exactly.

I'll make, and pour a drink, tea coffee, even a beer on occasion and then forget to drink it.

I'm a bit concerned it may be a symptom of something more serious.

My wife, bless her, does her best, asking me, for instance, if I've had my coffee. Since I can usually remember making and pouring it I say yes, but I haven't!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"I'm a bit concerned it may be a symptom of something more serious."

It might be, but don't make things worse by fretting about that. If it is the 'something more serious'you're imagining there will be nothing whatsoever you can do about it. Live your life, and face whatever comes if and when it comes.

Concentrate on what you can do - save your kidneys by drinking more fluids. Establish little rituals centred around drinking water or some other non-alcoholic fluid. It's the best way to remind yourself.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

add a little lemon or lime juice to your water, a little squeeze.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

FE

Thanks for the advice.

finerty

Does lemon juice aid the memory then?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features