We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fluid Intake

morddwyd

Likes # 0

Do you drink enough (not alcohol)?

I have already made an early New Year Resolution to up my fluid intake.

Yesterday early afternoon I was feeling decidedly seedy, and I realised that I had had nothing to drink since my early mowing tea, one cup, at about 7.00.

Nothing with breakfast, nothing mid-morning, nothing with lunch, and yet I didn’t feel thirsty, despite having ham for lunch.

When I remembered all the stories about dehydrated older people, I was quite chastened, and even if I hadn’t been my wife, who had no idea until I told her, made sure that I was!

So it’s now forget about feeling thirsty, and make it a deliberate routine.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Blackhat

"....cannot stand even the smell of coffee, only tried to drink it twice in 50 years"

Thank goodness we're not all the same - I couldn't survive without two or three cups of coffee a day. Tea? I can take it or leave it.

The whole subject of food/drink likes and dislikes is a fascinating one; why do you hate coffee when I love it, and why does my wife adore Risotto rice when I can't stand the stuff? Is it innate - was I born to love coffee - or is it an acquired thing?

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Blackhat

"....cannot stand even the smell of coffee, only tried to drink it twice in 50 years"

That's me, When my Wife was alive I made her espresso coffee but could not bear the smell of it. My youth up to 17years there about's I was brought up on Rountree Coco and loved it, but after getting married at 19 I gradually changed to Tea

Like this post
Blackhat

Likes # 0

My first experience of coffee was as a very young child from a vending machine at a swimming baths, this was late 60’s. I doubt that even the hardest of coffee drinkers could have managed a full cup of that stuff.

30 years later an elderly relative made me a coffee instead of tea (poor hearing) and although I tried my best I had give up after half the cup. I have no way of telling if the coffee was good or not.

Back to the thread, I try my best to drink about 1 litre of plain water each day (not bottled).

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

if u dont like water add a dsh of lemon juice or orange juice or a pint of guiness

Like this post
BT

Likes # 0

When I was in Hospital recently for my Prostate Resection, before I was allowed home I had to do 3 pees and have it measured, followed by a bladder ultrasound, and was encouraged to drink plenty of water, but was scolded for drinking more than 250ml(1 glass) an hour.

Drinking and peeing out too much over a short length of time can cause electrolyte imbalance which is not good for you at all.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Information overload!

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

I remember we had a thread about this a few years ago. I had just been in hospital for a heart problem and was told by the doctor that I was not eating enough greens or drinking enough water, I posted on that thread that I was advised to drink around 2 liters of water a day and was shot down about the quantity.

I take a 1.5 liter bottle of fizzy water to work every day and drink it through out the day. At the time off my hospital stay I worked in an industry that use highly qualified fittness trainers and the trainer our company emplyed advised drinking fizzy water because it stayed in your system longer.

Noldi

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I like packet cuppa soups ... all varieties ...with a dash of 'passata di pomodoro' and a good pinch of 'black pepper' to fill me up.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Noldi

"I posted on that thread that I was advised to drink around 2 liters of water a day and was shot down about the quantity."

Possibly because it isn't necessary to drink that much, bearing in mind what I said in an earlier post. On average you lose 2.5 litres a day. Your body reclaims about 0.3 of a litre from your cells, and you get around a litre from the food you eat. You only need to drink 1.2 litres to replace your losses. That's 1.2 litres of fluid, it includes tea and coffee and any other liquid you drink, it doesn't have to be water.

As for your "highly qualified fitness trainer" telling you that fizzy water stays in your system longer - that's utter claptrap. Fizzy water is just ordinary water that is naturally or artificially carbonated. Your body will lose an average of 2.5 litres of water a day, and whether the water is still or fizzy doesn't make a scrap of difference.

Your decision to drink that bottle of fizzy water a day is fine, if that's what you want to do, but ordinary tap water would be just as good - the only difference is that you're paying for the fizzy water.

Like this post
QuizMan

Likes # 0

As someone who still competes athletically in their 60's, I am well aware of the need to keep up hydration levels, but not to the extent that it controls my life. I suppose that over the years I have established a routine of fluid intake that suits my needs and I stick to it.

I do find it strange when I frequently see people out running carrying a container of water even when they run short distances. Why? Quite apart from ruining their running style, if you have drunk enough beforehand they do not need water for runs under 1 hour (and greater than that if, like me, they do not sweat much). If they haven't drunk enough beforehand, they shouldn't be running anyway. Drinking on the hoof won't get into the body fast enough before the run has ended. Drink before and after, not during.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Gear 2 review: Classy Tizen smartwatch is too expensive

IDG UK Sites

Eight possible names for the next version of Mac OS X: What will Apple call the follow-up to Maveri?......

IDG UK Sites

Why our gadgets will kill us all: bleating notifications, too many chargers and the proliferation...

IDG UK Sites

Inside Twitter's new design and ad offerings