We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Is your stuff in the cloud?

Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Do you use Cloud storage for your files, or are you nervous about the security of your precious data?

This might go some way towards reassuring you or at least prove interesting. Data storage has come a very long way in quite a short time.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

I just stick all my stuff on a £4.99 8gb usb stick. Then shove it in the car so it is always there if I need it.

Like this post
D@ve

Likes # 0

My reservations about using the cloud are not because of security concerns, but rather because of speed concerns and the dependancy on a working internet connection.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Cream.

That's fine, until you lose the stick, or - worse - somebody pinches it.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

I have a system back up at home which keeps my music collection hopefully safe. On the move I carry three 1TB WD pocket drives again mostly with my music collection which I continually update or add to.

I was about to say that I don't use the cloud but I am wrong as I use MS Messenger and Outlook/Hotmail which are both cloud based and so I nearly made a liar of myself as I think most people wouldn't think of these programs as using the cloud.

My main concern with the cloud is the amount of space I would need and the quickness of getting at my information around the world. I think the expense would not make it a good choice for me.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Condom

"My main concern with the cloud is the amount of space I would need and the quickness of getting at my information around the world."

The Cloud isn't the ideal place for storing a music collection; not because of any problem with accessing it - you need an internet connection, that's all - but because you will run up against our old friend - bandwidth.

Cloud storage is perfect for people who store business data and want to be able to access it rapidly, using any internet-connected computer, anywhere in the world. It means that - in theory - you can travel without a computer. Not that I ever do.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

in theory - you can travel without a computer.

I didn't think that was possible nowadays - passports have smart chips - your ticket is probably computer generated, as is the controlling timetable.

Planes, trains buses and cars are all computer controlled (EMS). We even carry chips in phones - and a chip in the watch on your wrist.

I even know few people who need a chip just to be able to walk around - pace makers and parkinsons controller.

:0)

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

thank goodness i dont use clou. I new there be a way to hack by these high tech thieves

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

FE

" Cream.

That's fine, until you lose the stick, or - worse - somebody pinches it. "

It would not matter as nothing important is on the stick. A bit of music, some family photos, portable firefox, a few AV programs, a windows vista and 7 folder and a couple of diagnostic programs.

I have a few dongles hanging around, house, coat, car. So there is always one on hand. I would never carry sensitive data or upload any to a cloud system.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

I agree with ventad,companies come and go,if you want large off site storege the answer is staring you in the face. Buy a couple external hard drives and when you save your data hide it somewhere safe, i for instance use a safe hidden in the joists in the house and one hidden outside my house in case of fire.So you see a one of payment and no monthly coasts,to paraphrase "Data in the hand is worth two in the cloud".

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Data in the hand is worth two in the cloud".

That may be true, but it isn't the point here. The advantage of cloud storage is that your files are available to you, and to anyone else you want to share them with, 24 hours a day, wherever in the world you might happen to be.

You don't have to have the 'data in the hand', or carry a laptop around with you; any on-line computer gives you instant access to your work. In a corporate environment, you can make files available to colleagues anywhere, at any time, regardless of time zones.

Carrying memory sticks around is fine for stuff like "A bit of music, some family photos, portable firefox, a few AV programs," etc., but it's out of the question for anything really important or confidential, and it's certainly no good if you want to work collaboratively with people in another country. The Cloud is a perfect medium for that kind of thing.

It's not the answer for everyone however, certainly not for most home computer users...at the moment. Things will change, I think, given time.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon 3D smartphone release date, price and spec: The hologram phone?

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 5s review: why the iPhone 5s is still the best phone you can buy in 2014

IDG UK Sites

Passwords don't work: here's four ways to fix them

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features