We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Chancelor of the Exchequer and the 2nd class train ticket

Algerian peter

Likes # 0

George just has a second class ticket but goes straight to first class.

"His aide tells ticket collector he cannot possibly move and sit with the likes of us in standard class and requests he is allowed to remain in First Class.

"Ticket collector refuses... I am a carriage away from the action ( the reporter) but have asked ticket inspector if he was going to let him stay "no chance"

"£160 for First Class upgrade... aide says no!..

"Breaking news: George Osborne pays £160 to stay in first class!"

You'd think they would have a pass to travel first class on any train.

Will he cut the subsidy to train operators for the embarasment?

Like this post
VCR97

Likes # 0

The explanation which I heard on Radio 4 was that he had bought a standard ticket but that there was no room in Standard Class so he moved to First Class. As his aide sought out the guard (or whatever he's called nowadays) to explain the situation I fail to see what all the fuss is about. Seems like a bit of opportunistic politicking.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Whilst "Standard class" may be the norm for back benchers, I think ministers should be allowed to travel first class on government business, as they may wish to do confidential work en route.In private companies, senior people are usually allowed first class travel.

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

spider9

Nice idea with one flaw - if he bought a first class ticket, but claimed for a second class ticket where would he get the correct VAT receipt for the expenses claim?

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

alan14

So if he, say, missed his train and took a taxi from home to London then he would have no claim, since a VAT receipt in that case would be for an expensive taxi fare - and thus not acceptable? I assumed that the idea was that 'standard class' was the maximum that could be claimed for travel.

Surely a VAT estimate for the standard fare could be utilised to modify the claim.

I also believe that Ministers should get 1st Class, for privacy reasons.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

"Man on train buys ticket"

If this was your story I'm afraid that you wouldn't last 2 minutes as a reporter. To sell newspapers you need to have a punchline with an element of sensationalism in it.

I would have suggested to you that perhaps "Toff top politician refuses to sit among the plebs in crowded train" might do better but again perhaps it is too long. So maybe "Me, sit with the plebs!! never".

I bet you my newspaper would sell more than yours ;-)

Like this post
LanceAlot

Likes # 0

If I was the Chancellor I wouldn't travel with us plebs either.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"the media focussing on this sort of trivial rubbish and ignoring the issues that ought to matter in the modern world."

And that, of course, is the problem.

Image is now everything, and not just in politics.

Ministers, even Prime Ministers) don't go because of incompetence, or indiscretions, but because newspapers decide they should go.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

It's right to have a dose of scepticism about press stories, but I would suggest a similar attitude to official versions of events as put out by rail companies and government departments.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The event itself is insignificant

A little like the butterflies wings flapping?

The Tories are being successfully portrayed as toffs at the moment, out of touch with the lives of the common man. If this view continues to gather momentum, the outcome of the next general election will be influenced by it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election than the odd few billions squandered in economic mismanagement.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Wouldn't it be ironic if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election than the odd few billions squandered in economic mismanagement."

It would be bloody stupid if that had more influence, on the results of an election, than issues that actually matter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Convincing leaked photos show iPhone 6

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014