We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Chancelor of the Exchequer and the 2nd class train ticket

Algerian peter ™

Likes # 0

George just has a second class ticket but goes straight to first class.

"His aide tells ticket collector he cannot possibly move and sit with the likes of us in standard class and requests he is allowed to remain in First Class.

"Ticket collector refuses... I am a carriage away from the action ( the reporter) but have asked ticket inspector if he was going to let him stay "no chance"

"£160 for First Class upgrade... aide says no!..

"Breaking news: George Osborne pays £160 to stay in first class!"

You'd think they would have a pass to travel first class on any train.

Will he cut the subsidy to train operators for the embarasment?

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

It's right to have a dose of scepticism about press stories, but I would suggest a similar attitude to official versions of events as put out by rail companies and government departments.

Like this post
oresome

Likes # 0

The event itself is insignificant

A little like the butterflies wings flapping?

The Tories are being successfully portrayed as toffs at the moment, out of touch with the lives of the common man. If this view continues to gather momentum, the outcome of the next general election will be influenced by it.

Wouldn't it be ironic if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election than the odd few billions squandered in economic mismanagement.

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"Wouldn't it be ironic if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election than the odd few billions squandered in economic mismanagement."

It would be bloody stupid if that had more influence, on the results of an election, than issues that actually matter.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Wouldn't it be ironic if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election than the odd few billions squandered in economic mismanagement."

The way things are today, that's very much on the cards. People are strongly influenced by what they read, and by what they see on TV news broadcasts. You only have to look at the way some people trustingly swallow what is written in newspapers to realise that it isn't necessarily the big issues that swing elections.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

"if a train ticket had more bearing on the outcome of an election"

It certainly gave Alec Salmond a rich vein to open his Party conference speech.

It looks as though the 'Tory toffs' idea will be used at every opportunity to ask Scots who they want to be governed by - and with Scots inbuilt dislike (only one Tory MP in all Scotland) will maybe help his cause.

Strangely, it seems that if the present government does well in the next couple of years, and look like being re-elected, Salmond will be very happy as the thought of more years of Tory rule from Westminster may well push people to think Independence is better.

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

This is not the first time Mr Osborne has tried this ploy.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/george-osborne-first-tried-train-1390281

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Site is slower than concrete setting for me at the moment so I won't try & return to an earlier link to the story where I'm sure I read that "Virgin does not allow upgrades to be bought once your on the train,the passenger risks being dropped off earlier than their purchased stop" or something similar.Besides this,the story is just the media attempting to cast Osborne in the same light as the angry cyclist.If the reporter had tweeted saying Osborne had been booted off the train for trying to travel 1st class with a 2nd class ticket,then there's a story to be told(although I'd still not care a fig)

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

sack the exchequer

Like this post
cream.

Likes # 0

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia