We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive by wire

carver

Likes # 0

I don't know how any body else feels about this enter link description here but I would definitely not feel at ease driving one of these, think I would be waiting for the dashboard to tell me that "Windows has experienced an error and needs to close" while doing sixty on a windy road.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

"What is the point of replacing it with a complex electronic system?"

Because the complex biological system that currently does the steering often turns into the loose nut behind the wheel

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

In a strange kind of way we already drive by wire.

Our brains work by a system of electrical impulses travelling along pathways that is far more complex and sophisticated than the best electronic system that we have devised so far.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

How often have you seen drivers with their foglights on despite it being months since you saw any fog?Thus proving that warning lights on the dashboard are ignored.

I also know of several vehicles that are equipped with electric power steering and these systems were problematic on the Mini,resulting in near calamitous results when the driver suddenly found they couldn't turn the steering wheel(I've also seen several rally drivers stagger out from behind the wheel when the system failed on a stage but they've continued racing & the physical exertion required was terrific)

If a fly-by-wire steering system was introduced,it would have to have proven reliability as failure would be carnage,and the survivors of the carnage would launch massive lawsuits against the manufacturers.I would like the option on my car though,as some of my previous cars have had really uncomfortable driving positions where the steering wheel has seemed offset to where my backside & feet are.I can forsee a problem for the police though,

Officer:Who's the driver?

Occupants: Guess!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'