We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Drive by wire

carver

Likes # 0

I don't know how any body else feels about this enter link description here but I would definitely not feel at ease driving one of these, think I would be waiting for the dashboard to tell me that "Windows has experienced an error and needs to close" while doing sixty on a windy road.

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

It will eventually come but I doubt in my lifetime. But the thought of getting in my car and telling it to take me home puts a smile on my face. I just hope it can remember which home I mean as my homes are 6000 miles apart ;-)

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Aircraft have several systems for flight controls which are independent and compare the input/output parameters to ensure safety - not that it always works perfectly as glitches do occur.

How many comparators does the proposed vehicle system have to ensure the input/output are commensurate? Or could it be the "unnecessary feedback" mentioned is steering one way and going the other?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

Woolwell I'm sorry but I have to disagree with you about that, for some people it doesn't matter what warning symbols/ lights you have on a dashboard they wouldn't notice them or even know what they mean.

That collision system only works when you are coming up behind another car, and please remember that Volvo thought they had a perfect system until this enter link description here

As for backup, car manufactures save pennies by not even supplying a spare tyre now so who is going to pay for another CPU in case of failure, this isn't the same as an aircraft that costs millions and another £500 isn't even going to be noticed.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

carver If a person cannot notice a light telling them that they have a tyre problem then they shouldn't be driving. The same people will probably keep driving with a reduced tyre pressure without noticing any difference in handling either.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

F.E funny but I thought half a mile and 2000ft were not to dissimilar

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"It doesn't matter where the technology came from, if it has been widely and successfully used there is little to fear from its adaptation to a different purpose."

That's as maybe. I can remember when coil ignition started replacing the magneto on motor bikes, which was not that long ago, just back in the 60s. I seem to remember that the BSA C15 was one of the first, but it was only a 250 so didn't really count as a bike (no restrictions on capacity for learners in those days!).

I swore that I would not be interested until they started using it for racing.

I bought my first coil ignition bike in 1984!

It'll be the same with drive by wire!

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

carver

"funny but I thought half a mile and 2000ft were not to dissimilar"

That's right, but you didn't give the full story. Aircraft are separated vertically by 2000 feet when they fly at altitudes in excess of 29,000 feet. Below that altitude they are separated vertically by a minimum of 1000 feet.

You said "you normally do not have another aircraft closer than half a mile." Which is both incorrect and misleading. It gives the impression that aircraft are habitually only half a mile apart,and that's wildly wrong - they are 5 nautical miles apart horizontally when flying at the same altitude.

Always best to get the facts right when you're indulging in sarcasm, carver.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

This is personnel view, Being 76 I was brought up with spanner and screwdrivers Best Suit a Boiler Suit. It makes me nerves thinking about the above, but we cannot stop progress not in this world that we live in. So I have nothing to worry about, but people are going to get change, otherwise we would would all be still walking where ever we wanted to go and it's a long way to Wales from middle of the country near Sheffield to walk for me summer holiday's

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

woodchip

"It makes me nerves thinking about the above, but we cannot stop progress not in this world that we live in."

Exactly, the world's infrastructures are now far too complex for us to be able to stay with the 'spanner and screwdriver' approach. We have to trust in technology or be left behind.

Like this post
canarieslover

Likes # 0

We already have systems available on some current cars that enable them to perform parallel parking so drive by wire has got to be the next logical step. It will probably be O.K. when all vehicles are so equipped but I would be dubious about being driven by one while there are still idiots about who drive while phoning, texting, and drinking coffee etc. That is without the boy racers who think nothing about changing lanes without indication or regard for others.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: Video shows 'new, reversable iPhone 6 cha'......