We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

inside google

Algerian peter

Likes # 0

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

These images are a sobering reminder of just how reliant the world is on electricity and the internet. Knock out one, and we lose the other.

These server farms are to be found all over the world, not just running Google, but Microsoft, Apple, the mobile phone networks, and handling data for millions of companies and the world's banks.

It's frightening to think how far we have come along the road of entrusting our lives to machines.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

That's a great link , Algerian peter.

Even my little 1gb dongle would be useless if it all went pear-shaped.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

...although some of the images remind me of old/new BT main distribution frames MDF's (Inside Telephone Exchange Buildings] typically about 30 or so years ago.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

I too have seen these pictures. I actually find them mildly disturbing, for reasons that in all honesty I am unable to put my finger on.

WTM

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan

I know what you mean. I haven't been in a server farm as big as those in the images, but I have been in some pretty big data centres and server rooms, and it can be vaguely unsettling.

You get a slight feeling of being in an alien environment, and you're very aware that there are things going on that you can't see, and might not understand if you could.

It gets better, once you've had your hands on a few boxes and cables, but I always get a little of that 'Don't cut the red wire' feeling, and I'm glad when I'm out of there.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

WhiteTruckMan, for Goshed sake please don't put your finger in there :-0

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Enter the matrix...

These aren't quite the first pictures from Google's server farms, but hey The Daily Mail has never been one for 100% accuracy.

Anyway, I love Google's buildings, they put a lot of thought into the design and environment. For instance look at the pipes, there's a reason they're different colours, but they've used the company colours and it makes the place brighter.

By the way, in one of the Google data centres they use the grey water (sewage with the lumps filtered out) from the kitchens and wash rooms for cooling, this water is then triple filtered and treated before being returned to the ground, where it's cleaner than it was when it entered the building

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014