We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you really bothered about child labour

carver

Likes # 1

Reason I ask is that we buy all these new gadgets, things like new iPhone/ipad or even any new smart phone but would you really give them up after reading enter link description here about this.

We wouldn't or shouldn't allow that sort of thing to happen in this country and there would be a great deal of outrage if a firm was found to be employing under age children but it happens in China and we still buy the products.

Reason I picked on this story is that Apple like to show a caring face to the world but seem more concerned about profit than child labour.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Banning Child Labour is not the answer."

Of course it is - children are not equipped, physically or mentally, to work long hours in poor conditions. They are unable to negotiate for themselves, and are extremely vulnerable to exploitation.

Saying that it is 'churlish' to deny youngsters the right to help support their family doesn't advance the argument. In China these 'youngster's as you euphemistically call them are not working in factories because they choose to do it, they have no option. The Chinese government forces them to work so the Chinese economy can benefit from the orders that flood into Chinese manufacturing facilities.

All the monitoring in the world isn't going to help if the State decides that it's desirable for 'youngsters' to work in factories.

I have visited a factory - in the countryside just outside Beijing - where children as young as 13 and 14 were working in dreadful conditions making decorated metal vases. They sat at long tables under flickering fluorescent lights, applying intricate enamel designs before the vases went to a kiln for firing. It was a cold,gloomy,unfriendly place, and it made me feel distinctly uncomfortable, especially when I was told that by the time they are 16 or 17 the children are 'no good' because their eyesight has been so badly affected by the working conditions.

That kind of thing goes on all over China and South-East-Asia.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Stradivarius .... actually if I remember correctly, it was a cardboard box, a stick and a piece of string!

FE - apologies if I am being too frivolous on a serious thread - though the aforementioned was factual.

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

How can you say that the employment record for Foxconn looks good, they have children working for them that have no say in the matter, it's not would you like to work for me it's YOU WILL work for this company.

These are 14 year old children who should be at school, not working on an assembly line producing iPhones for Apple and to say it's China is no reason to condone the practice.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"How can you say that the employment record for Foxconn looks good"

Who has said that?

Like this post
carver

Likes # 0

"Foxconn's employment policies would look outrageous if it had a factory in Birmingham but in China they look pretty good."

Just a short extract from fourm member post, not exactly word for word but near enough to my posting.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"These are 14 year old children who should be at school,"

If there is a school.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

fm said:-

If you want to invade the world and deal with all the unfairness in it - feel free.

please explain, fm.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

It is impossible to invade the world ...unless you are an extra-terrestrial being?

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

The first thing that we in the west need to recognise is that it has taken centuries for us to reach the position we are in with regard to children and employment. In the 60's I worked 7 days a week from 6am - 8am delivering milk for the princely sum of 18 shillings a week. I then had to go to school and try and learn. My earnings bought me my first guitar which helped me earn some bigger money in later years.

I now live most of my life in the far east and I see some dreadful sights to me on a daily basis. I often come home by taxi in the small hours of the morning and I see young children under the age of 10 (as it is often difficult to tell ages accurately) at every traffic junction trying to earn a few baht by washing windscreens in 6 lanes of traffic. Your head tells you initially "why are they not in bed for school tomorrow" and then you realise that without this few baht perhaps granny and grandad will not be eating tomorrow. The nuclear family as what I was taught it was when studying in the UK is actually quite real here and working pretty well.

It is not just Apple in the spotlight as Gap and just about every other large company you can think of buys their products from the fruits of this type of labour. My taxi drivers are normally pretty sympathetic and let them wipe the screen or more normally buy some of the fragrant flowers which they sell to refresh the cars. If they do this I normally take the opportunity to give them a few baht as well with the view that personally I can't change anything and maybe I am helping someone eat the next day.

Do I like it, no I don't but I am a realist.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

yes

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data