We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Are you really bothered about child labour

carver

Likes # 1

Reason I ask is that we buy all these new gadgets, things like new iPhone/ipad or even any new smart phone but would you really give them up after reading enter link description here about this.

We wouldn't or shouldn't allow that sort of thing to happen in this country and there would be a great deal of outrage if a firm was found to be employing under age children but it happens in China and we still buy the products.

Reason I picked on this story is that Apple like to show a caring face to the world but seem more concerned about profit than child labour.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"it happens in China and we still buy the products."

Yes, it does, and of course we do.

We fuel the child labour problem because we constantly search for the cheapest deal whenever we buy something. We want the technology, or the trainers, or the power tools at the lowest price we can find, and we spend a lot of time researching. It forces manufacturers to try to find ways of driving production costs lower and lower, and many Western technology companies outsource supply to South East Asia. There the temptation to employ very young workers is huge - families need every bit of income they can find, and they happily see their children going off to assemble electronic components, or shoes, or whatever is being made for (mainly) foreign companies.

We're the culprits, but I don't see many threads in our forums asking 'where can I get a laptop that has been made without exploiting young workers?' Usually it's 'what's the best value for money laptop deal?'

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 1

It's not that long ago that child labour was used in this country. It is probably the first step to prosperity in a deprived country. Things will gradually change in China and other such places in due course. After all look at the difference there in the last thirty years or so.

Come to think of it I and lots of other children were working quite hard at the tender age of fourteen.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Many (if not most) of the techno gadgets I buy, including two laptops, have got a Made-in-Germany label on them [from either Aldi or Lidl) ... I wonder if Medion outsource their products from South East Asia?

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Just because they were assembled in Germany most of the components would have come from factories in China

Like this post
interzone55

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Dell PCs sold in Europe were made in Ireland for a while (for tax reasons) but pretty much all the components were made in China, Taiwan and South Korea. Now Dell PCs are built in Eastern Europe for tax and labour cost reasons.

Similarly, Minis are built in Oxford, but the engines are put together in France and Germany

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

Most laptops are constructed in one of the big manufacturers in Taiwan or China, and shipped as completed Chassis to Europe or America for case fitting and branding.

Your Dell or HP machine - for example - will have been made by one of several companies you have never heard of; companies like Compal, Quanta and Wistron.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

At the age of 11, one year after the end of the war, times were hard. I was one of eleven children, My two older brothers and two eldest sisters were all in the Forces and away from home, the rest of us were at home.

Another two sisters were 'away' In Service, I used to get up at 4am each morning, walk to a local Newsagents, load up 4-500 newspapers onto a shop bicycle with a large iron carrier on the front, and yes that was heavy - then ride a couple of miles mostly uphill, to what was then known as a labour camp housing hundreds of workers, mostly Polish and other nationalities, where I would set-up shop in one of the wooden huts to sell the papers. I nearly always sold-out, so the homeward journey was much easier, empty and downhill. After that, home for breakfast, then walk to school!

I did this for about eighteen months, in all weathers for the princely weekly sum of £1 and ten shillings, out of which I got half-a-crown, Mum getting the rest to help feed/clothe the family. I was rich! And no regrets, except that, my violin has just broken - awe shucks!

So no, I am not too bothered about children working as long as they get paid for it, though I do deplore some of the conditions in which they are made to work in Asian/Far Eastern countries.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

Nontek ... I hope it's not a Stradivarius ...

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

"Foxconn took action as soon as it became aware of the situation."

Of course it did.

Saying that Foxconn has a less-than-perfect record when it comes to labour conditions and relations would be the understatement of the year.

Back in February of this year a watchdog organisation that was monitoring working conditions in factories making products for Apple (at Apple's request)said that it had uncovered "tons of issues" at the Foxconn Technology Group plant in Shenzhen, China.

Foxconn is huge - the company employs 1.2 million people in China, 32,000 of them are students. The students aren't given any option - they are instructed to work for Foxconn by their teachers, who in turn are instructed by communist party officials. It's all about keeping the big orders (10 million iPhones at a time) coming in.

Various investigations at Foxconn and other Apple suppliers have revealed illegal amounts of overtime, crowded working conditions, under-age workers, improper disposal of hazardous waste and in one case (Foxconn) an explosion that killed four people and injured more than 100 others.

Earlier this year 100 Foxconn employees threatened to jump from the factory roof in protest at pay and working conditions. In 2010 Foxconn was forced to raise workers' wages by 70% after stories about atrocious working conditions forced Apple to threaten the withdrawal of its lucrative business.

Recently 2000 workers went on the rampage at the factory, an incident that resulted in the deaths of ten people. Foxconn said the riot started when a personal dispute between two men escalated. Some escalation over a personal difference!

Big Chinese factories are notorious for bad working conditions, and it will continue as long as Western consumers demand cheaper and cheaper technology.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I am, once again, sticking my neck out.

In any country where a single Wage Earner is unable to provide for a (Usually his) family and the partner needs to be at home to look after the younger children, it is churlish of us to deny youngsters the right to help support their family.

What would be more positive, would be for us to monitor and improve that Conditions and Standards under which Youngsters are employed.

I have used the word Youngsters, instead of Children, as the second word carries a lot of emotive baggage and the definition of a Child varies over time and from country to country.

In the days when Children were employed to sweep chimneys, it was the conditions under which they worked and the pitiful remuneration that they received that were the real problem, as were those that were employed in the Mills.

Kids at Fruit picking, was the norm for years and our school holidays owe their dates to the potato harvest.

Banning Child Labour is not the answer. Improving the conditions of all workers is the way to go.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals: Get bargains on smartphones, tablets, laptops and more

IDG UK Sites

What the Internet of Things will look like in 2015: homes will get smarter, people might get fitter

IDG UK Sites

See how Trunk's animated ad helped Ade Edmondson plug The Car Buying Service

IDG UK Sites

Yosemite tips: Complete Guide to OS X Yosemite