We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

The Americans might decide to send Hamza back

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

How are the Americans going to re-act to this extradition palaver? It seems one of the people we sent there last week, also had an illness which should have prevented his extradition. But he was sent. Maybe they will send him back!

Can we prevent them sending Hamza back if they decide to do so in an act of extreme petulance.

I can't understand why the Yanks haven't offered Gary a damn good job working for them hacking in to other people's/countries' computers.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

From the Americans perspective, this was all about the embarrassment caused, not so much about the hacking.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not defending what this chap is accused of doing, but we must not loose site of their military systems that by all accounts were wide open. Some allegedly, didn't even have any passwords and others with the defaults left in place.

Let's face it, if he'd been a serious hacker, there are may ways he could have used to cover his tracks that would have made it extremely difficult to track him down, as is the case with many modern hackers today.

If that was the standard (at the time) of their systems, they should be very happy he found the open doors, and exposed serious security flaws. At least once you know about it, you can attempt to solve the problem.

There should have been some pretty red faces amongst the military and more than a few investigations into their level of competence - or incompetence depending on your viewpoint.

The "one way" extradition treaty, was never going to go down well in the UK. It's perceived as unfair and very one-sided, but I doubt it will lead to the return of someone extradited that they've already got their hands on.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"Can we prevent them sending Hamza back if they decide to do so in an act of extreme petulance."

Of course not.

He's a British citizen and any and every country can deport undesirables back to their native land.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

"and any and every country can deport undesirables back to their native land"

numerous cases in this country proves otherwise.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Name some so that we can discuss them.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

morddwyd said:-

'He's a British citizen and any and every country can deport undesirables back to their native land.'

The word undesirables is not a good word to use in this context ... ie. lawful extradition !

Personally, I would like/desire that all (non-British) Eastern European citizens who are here [in Glasgow] under 'asylum seeker' guise, be deported [with some money]back to their homelands.

These people from Eastern Europe are all undesirables, as far as I'm concerned...but they're here to stay.

I hope Mr Salmond's new vision for Scotland addresses this problem soon.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

"These people from Eastern Europe are all undesirables, as far as I'm concerned"

Please look up the meaning of the word xenophobia, and stop making sweeping remarks like the one above.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

FE, I am a 'xenophobe',and I think I might be an 'undesirable' too ... Catch 22 ?

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Aitchbee

It's not for me to decide whether or not you are an undesirable, but it is for me to decide that we can't allow you to give full rein to your xenophobia here.

I'm sure I can rely on your cooperation in that respect.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

100%, FE. I always abide by the rules.

Like this post
johndrew

Likes # 0

Hamza acquired British citizenship and it should be possible to strip this from him and return him to that of his birth country; Egypt.

For my money, if the USA wish to return him, the British Government should take this action as a matter of urgency to permit his return to Egypt as one of their citizens. Given the Egyptian links to Jordan it would then be possible for him to be transported there for the trial that awaits him without any interference from the European courts!!

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes