We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Group Tests - The new system

wee eddie

Likes # 0

I have been fascinated by the new system and, having observed, have reached a conclusion.

There has been the occasional exception to this rule but, in general, it seems to hold true.

In any group tested the higher, but not necessarily the highest, priced items will get the Awards.

This months Smart-Phones is a typical example. 6 phones - 4 at £200, 2 at double the price and the Awards go to. Well, of course they do - they're twice the price, if they weren't better we'd be being ripped off.

Now, had PCA run the article in two parts. 4 @ £200 - which is best, and 2 @ £400 - which is best. We might have learned something.

As it is, those that wish to buy a cheaper phone have a lot of, almost incomparable details, and we all know that if you spend £400 you should get a better one.

I say: Buck your ideas up PCA, before you become extinct!

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

I purposefully left out comments on the PC Group Tests which follow the above rule slavishly.

Someone buying a Family Computer does not want to know that he can get something better if he doubles his budget. he wants to know what's best within his budget. The same could be said for the Common or Garden Office PC.

If I wanted something for the MD's desk, that's a different matter.

Now, Gamers all know that the more you spend the better you get, so that's probably the exception that proves the rule.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

It used to be like that when they did printers, running costs was not taken into account

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

I always look at all of the available 'write-ups' and then wait for a few weeks/months/years before spending any big cash on any new gizmo or 'new kid on the block'...yesterday I bought a HP laserjet 6L printer for £2 from a local charity shop (in good working order) ... who needs cutting-edge?

Like this post
Mr Mistoffelees

Likes # 0

"who needs cutting-edge?"

Me!

Now if only I had more money.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Apple's 2014 highlights: the most significant Apple news of 2014

IDG UK Sites

See the festive spots creative companies have released for Christmas

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad