We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Looking for a gadget for my laptop

Condom

Likes # 0

I didn't realise that I was so stone age. I brought my laptop to Thailand with me as I had given away my PC last time I left, I forgot however that I needed a fire-wire port for my old video camera which still uses mini Digital tapes and only has a fire-wire port for transferring media to a PC.

I will buy a new more modern video camera in the coming weeks but does anyone know of a gadget I can get which will perhaps plug into one of my laptop's USB 2 ports which would allow me to download my existing stuff onto my laptop for editing.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Take your camera to Maplins and explain your requirements,they may have a firewire to usb 2 cable adapter/converter.

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

don't think Maplins have branches in Thailand

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

They don't but I will look and see if I can find Radio Shack which is here and see if they have anything like what has been suggested. It is the little things like this that you tend to forget about. Thanks everyone for your help.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

I think you'll have a problem. With video it's not as simple as a cable between Firewire and USB2. You may see cables that say they can do it, but don't assume anything; you'll almost certainly end up with degraded footage quality.

As far as I'm aware there is no such thing as a Firewire to USB cable that can do a straightforward data transfer (which is what you want) as opposed to a file conversion, which is what you don't want.

Your could do the job if you had a PC with an Express card slot, but you're working with a laptop that doesn't have a Firewire port, and I fear you're going to be disappointed.

This thread doesn't really belong in Speakers Corner, but it's a little late to move it now.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Jf you have a PCMCIA slot you need one of these cards

Click Hear for Card

Though you could do your own search using Google as they can be bought cheaper

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV expert tips: get US Apple TV content, watch Google Play, use multiple Apple IDs and more