We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smell in car when you start up

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use the Brother in laws car while he is away and noticed a smell of rotten eggs as you start up.

It is a Zafira 2 litre DTI.

Not sure what the problem is I had a new oil pump put in about 6 weeks ago just about the same time as the smell started.Also changed the oil and filter. Battery terminal was a bit furred up so gave that a clean and put some grease on it.No water terminals on it that I could see.

I don't think the smell is as bad now but it is still there.

As soon as you start the engine you can smell it inside the car even if the fan is switched off.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking for.Apart from a new car.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

I should have added the smell has almost gone since running the Air conditioning so I assume it is that which is the problem.

I also leave the fan motor running on the first notch so maybe that is getting rid of the smell quicker.

I will get one of those spray's the next time I am out and about cant do any harm.

So than everyone for your help.

Like this post
Chegs ®™

Likes # 0

Airbag warning errors can be very costly, and are an MOT failure.

My last car had a permanently illuminated airbag warning light yet passed its MOT everytime,and I found out the painful way why the light was on..I collided with another car at approximately 45MPH and neither drivers or passenger sides airbags deployed,breaking my GF's wrist & further injuring my spine.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Chegs ®™

That just reminded me when I ran into the back of a army Fork lift truck that had pulled out in front of me.

The penny just dropped with me The airbag never deployed either.Maybe I should have thought about that at the time.

I had 2 choices pull out and miss him or drive into the back of him,I drove into the back of him in case there was a car coming in the opposite direction.

My van was a write off and what really annoyed me was that I had just put 4 new tyres on the day before.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Lytro Illum release date, price and specs: Light field camera goes 3D

IDG UK Sites

Tim Cook says Apple aims to be best, not first, hinting that iWatch is coming

IDG UK Sites

Twitter - not news

IDG UK Sites

Fun film festival trailer plays with classic movie scenes