We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smell in car when you start up

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use the Brother in laws car while he is away and noticed a smell of rotten eggs as you start up.

It is a Zafira 2 litre DTI.

Not sure what the problem is I had a new oil pump put in about 6 weeks ago just about the same time as the smell started.Also changed the oil and filter. Battery terminal was a bit furred up so gave that a clean and put some grease on it.No water terminals on it that I could see.

I don't think the smell is as bad now but it is still there.

As soon as you start the engine you can smell it inside the car even if the fan is switched off.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking for.Apart from a new car.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Possibly a pollen filter needs changing.

You have a big engine, short journeys,and plenty of cold starts? The car outside at night? I may be wrong but any yuck in the pollen filter or its connections in those circumstance might well ferment and stink when warmed up.

If the particulate filter is the cause, that is very serious it implies exhaust gas is getting into the car, but not likely.

Like this post
Forum Editor

Likes # 0

Diemmess

When it happened to me - or to my wife's car to be more accurate, I also thought 'pollen filter'. She has a car with a reasonably 'big' engine, does shortish journeys, and the car is outside at night.

We had the filter changed, but the smell persisted. Someone recommended the aerosol method, and it worked.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

Catalytic converter ??! I presume the DTi in the model name suggest its Diesel so it would not have such a item more like a Diesel particulate filter.

Noldi

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

"Catalytic converter ??! I presume the DTi in the model name suggest its Diesel so it would not have such a item"

That's a rare auto-error from you, Noldi.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

I've heard of auto-correct, but auto-error?!!

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Diemmess

I believe there is a filter inside those type of cars behind the glove compartment somewhere.I believe the glove compartment has to be taken out to get to it.

I have a funny feeling he has already had that done before.probably within the last year.

He is in S/Africa just now but will leave a message for him to find out if he has or not.

Like this post
Diemmess

Likes # 0

Jock1e and F.E.

I posted because of some half remembered Honest John advice in the past. He [I think] said the associated plumbing had to be cleaned as well. Sounds money well spent if the spray works! Perhaps sterilising a primeval slime of algae and fungi.

The number of gizmos fitted in today's production cars all have a startling price tag to service or replace. About 10 years ago I had a Peugeot 306 when the circuit board governing the display went belly up and the bill came to around £400. The garage is well trusted and told me the labour was high (£140) because the whole fascia had to be removed to get at the CB. £200+ was the cost of the fairly simple board.

Airbag warning errors can be very costly, and are an MOT failure. The cost of many repairs comes close to the retail value. How soon before the expected life of a car is shortened to its warranty period?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Diemmess

Yes just as I thought it was changed within the last year so that would rule that one out.

And like you say getting into it to fix it is the problem.Oil pumps used to be fitted at the front of engines the one for this car is at the bottom back of it and even the mechanic was not sure where it was and he was vauxhall trained.

Like this post
Noldi

Likes # 0

You mention a replacement oil pump. A faulty oil pump would cause engine damage unless it was a leaking seal. If the oil pump was changed because of a leaking seal and that is when the smell started, it could be caused by the solvent used to clean the area around the pump??

Noldi

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Noldi

You got me now it may not have been the pump I cant quite remember.It was signaling on the dashboard of low oil pressure so I think that is what it was a new oil pressure switch .There was oil leaking onto that and that is what was changed .I did say oil pump so my mistake.Sorry

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do