We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Smell in car when you start up

Jock1e
Resolved

Likes # 0

I use the Brother in laws car while he is away and noticed a smell of rotten eggs as you start up.

It is a Zafira 2 litre DTI.

Not sure what the problem is I had a new oil pump put in about 6 weeks ago just about the same time as the smell started.Also changed the oil and filter. Battery terminal was a bit furred up so gave that a clean and put some grease on it.No water terminals on it that I could see.

I don't think the smell is as bad now but it is still there.

As soon as you start the engine you can smell it inside the car even if the fan is switched off.

Any ideas as to what I should be looking for.Apart from a new car.

Like this post
namtas

Likes # 0

It could be coming from the air conditioning assuming that it has AC fitted

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

namtas

Yes thanks for that.Just opened this forum for a look and it could well be the air conditioning.

http://www.cliosport.net/forum/showthread.php?511325-Eggy-smell-on-start-up

As I know nothing about air conditioning I will leave it to my Brother in law to deal with.

He will be back next month for a few days.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

As it is most likely to be the Air conditioning and I know nothing about it I am going to close this thread.

If anyone can explain an easy fix for it feel free add your comments.

Like this post  
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Jock1e

From the rotten egg smell description, I'd say it's something in the exhaust system - probably sulphur from fuel burning up catalytic converter.

No easy way to say what the fix is, but you can try fuelling at a different place. The diesel in an alternative fuelling station may be from another refinery and have a lower sulphur content. It may also be that the car does it anyway, but your brother in law runs the car a lot more so sulphur deposits don't get a chance to build up - if you only really do short run journeys (say, a couple of miles) then this is likely the cause. Try taking the car out for a long run and see if it smells the following morning on start-up.

The alternative is that the car is running very rich and leaving fuel deposits on the cat - that could have any number of causes.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Give the car a good run say one junction to another if you live near a motorway,the catalyst needs to get very hot to burn of residue in the catalitic converter and it doesn't do this on short runs,also it will clean the lamba (oxygen) sensors. The smell is sulpher,easy cure and no garage bills.

Like this post
mole1944

Likes # 0

Opps forgot to say try Esso fuel we used that if we had a problem as a known good fuel,how do i know let's just say i used to work in a large motor manufacturers technical centre.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Well thanks for all of the advice.It usually only does 4 or 5 mile say every 2nd day so it does lack a good run out.I did about a 32 mile round trip about a week ago and that's about the furthest that I have been.

Sometimes it does not get used for 4 or 5 days so that could be the problem.

Got to go to heathrow 13th of next month so that looks like that maybe its longest run for some time.

No Esso garage where I come from I always use Asda's as that is usually the cheapest.

Like this post
wiz-king

Likes # 0

Start the car and get out and smell the exhaust fumes, I have noticed some cars produce a very sulphurous smell when they have just started up.

Like this post
Quickbeam

Likes # 0

Get your electrical charging system checked out asap. The rotten eggs smell is hydrogen sulfide caused by an over charging battery. Eventually it will split the battery case and wreck any plastic components and parts of the wiring loom it spills over.

What does it mean if a battery smells like rotten eggs?

Like this post
OTT_B

Likes # 0

Quickbeam

"The rotten eggs smell is hydrogen sulfide caused by an over charging battery"

Plausible, but highly improbable.

Given that the car has only been making short runs, the battery is far more likely to be under charged than overcharging.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Get bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more this Black...

IDG UK Sites

Tomorrow's World today (or next year)

IDG UK Sites

25 iOS apps turn (Red) for World AIDS Day campaign

IDG UK Sites

Advanced tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert - 5 new tips added