We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

The average weight of the Glaswegian would drop alarmingly. The Scotch would make no difference because they already drink too much of it.

Like this post
Macscouse

Likes # 0

I first went to Scotland on an overnight trip with the Army. Circumstances meant I had to stay for two months. Whilst there, I met my now wife, and when I retired from the Army, I moved up to Nairn. I thoroughly enjoy living in the Highlands, the scenery is stunning, and the air is clean. My car has been targeted a couple of times for my being English, but that could happen anywhere. I have just spent a few days in Glasgow, and it is a fabulous city. Their parks and museums are wonderful, and the Glaswegians are tremendous fun once they know that I am from Liverpool. That said, I think that it would be a terrible mistake if we were to part.

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

Well said Macscouse. We can't afford to break the union. Nothing to do with finance, but for such reasons as sentimentality. neighbourliness and friendship. All families have their ups and downs and we always will but to break up is sheer folly.

If it were not for the fanatics we could even have Ireland in the Union. (just my opinion). I'll get me 'at.

Like this post
Aitchbee

Likes # 0

... very latest betting odds [Update]:-

Will Scotland Vote For Independence in 2014?

No ...was 2/5 is now 1/3

Yes ..was 7/4 is now 9/4

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

Probably the most reliable forecast of all.

Bookies rarely catch a cold with this sort of event!

Like this post
Condom

Likes # 0

Bing.alau

I think you must be some sort of romantic if you think for more than a few seconds that Eire would rejoin the Union. It will never happen and I doubt very much if it has anything to do with fanatics.

As a born Scot without a vote I will be disappointed if the Scots decide not to leave but if not so be it. Macscouse is to be envied. Living in Nairn with a Scottish wife and still made welcome in Glasgow which I have to agree is a fantastic City. What more could a man want except perhaps a Scottish passport ;-)

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I would quite like to see a federal UK along the lines of the German Landers. In the meantime why cannot the English have a referendum on independence?

Like this post
Bing.alau

Likes # 0

jb. Including complete independence from Europe?

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 930 review: The flagship Windows Phone 8.1 smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Live Blog: Apple financial results, record June quarter, 35.2m iPhones sold, $37.4b revenue

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger