We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Speakers Corner

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Scotland's Vote Independence or Union?

Bing.alau
Resolved

Likes # 0

We have plenty of Scots who take part in this forum. I wonder how they intend to vote.

Will Scottish people in England, Northern Ireland or Wales etc., have a vote and if so how do you intend to vote? Will it depend on the address at the time of voting? As I have said before I have lots of Scottish friends but they all live on the south coast of England. (They show a tendency to get away from Scotland as far as possible).

Macscouse had better keep out of this or the LHO will hit him below the sporran.

Seriously though. Will English people living in Scotland on a permanent basis be entitled to vote?

What about all the Scottish people living abroad in such diverse places as Canada and South Africa?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

morddwyd

Perhaps that should be phrased as sitting at the table eating more than they contribute and better off than those who provided the table.

I think that if Scotland does gain independence then they may well be in the same situation as Ireland.

Jock1e - the defence situation has changed. I doubt that the Americans would want the bases.

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Woolwell "eating more than they contribute "

That is just the attitude (and all the other guff about 'free' this and that) which could be the catalyst to make many proud Scots vote for independence.

It is going to be an interesting couple of years!

Like this post
Kevscar1

Likes # 0

The real question is if they go indpemdant can we deport all of them south of the border and rebuild Hadrians Wall.

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

Kevscar1

Maybe better deporting them North of the border.

I am sure that there would be loads of other people from all around the world that would gladly step in and take their place.

Like this post
morddwyd

Likes # 0

"I think that if Scotland does gain independence then they may well be in the same situation as Ireland."

I think many people would be happy with that (note to fm - I didn't say all, or even most!).

"Personally I think that the powers that be might have made a bad mistake with that arrangement"

I left my native Wales in 1953, and paid my last visit in the 70s. I first came to Scotland in 1957.

Are you seriously suggesting that I should have a vote in any independence referendum in a country I haven't seen in 40 years, but not in a country where I have lived and worked for 60?

Like this post
Jock1e

Likes # 0

The way I see it is if you were born in Scotland you should be entitled to vote.

It does not matter where you are in the world if you were born in Scotland you are Scottish.

Now whether you would want to vote is a different thing but maybe you should have that choice.

Like this post
kad60

Likes # 0

Possibly the only means of surviving an independence vote would be for the Scots to go fully into Europe,if the Euro survives itself,lock,stock and ........ .I'll leave you fill in the blank.

Would Salmond be any better pleased being 'ruled' from Brussels rather than Westminster,"independence"/"sovereignty" are dirty words in the Euro zone unless your country begins with an F or G.

Like this post
WhiteTruckMan

Likes # 0

The thought occurs to me that I wonder if the 'asylum seekers' that turn up on our shores all too often will keep on going north, and what salmond will do about them?

WTM

Like this post
spider9

Likes # 0

Jock1e "The way I see it is if you were born in Scotland you should be entitled to vote."

Have you any idea of the complexity of what you are suggesting? Proving your Scottish birth and registering to vote in an election in a Scotland you maybe haven't seen in 70 or 80 years?? Get real!

WTM "asylum seekers"

Why on earth would they WANT to come if things are going to be so bad up here when England are no longer supplying all the cash to the Scots?

But always good politics to throw up scare stories at any opportunity!

Like this post
Miké

Likes # 0

How much of the current UK National Debt will they to take on? Presumably the new state of Scotland wouldn't be able to pay this off in a single payment, still never mind there's always the oil revenue to sequester until their share is paid!

Oh yes nearly forgot about the WW1 and WW2 debts to the USA, still in a generation or two they should be nearly out of debt.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone Air release date rumours, specs, leaked photos: 5.5in iPhone 6 expected

IDG UK Sites

Alternatives to iPad Air: iPad Air vs best tablets from Samsung, Sony, Microsoft, Google & more

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Apple launches a new Swift blog, signaling language's importance